Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

S&S or baker inner primary race?

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2012 | 04:48 AM
bobbyjoes
|
Road Captain
Default S&S or baker inner primary race?

Hi ,anyone have experience with either one of these races,as stated in another post got primary leak and going to take off anyways ,going to check race and replace if needed,the baker is a little cheaper and you don`t need the tools to buy to install,any other choices or advice ,thanks

Old 12-29-2012 | 05:41 AM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member

Looking for same answers

Old 12-29-2012 | 07:50 AM
Lakerat
Road Warrior

I'm looking for opinions on this IPB also.

Old 12-29-2012 | 08:35 AM
JohnnyC
Outstanding HDF Member

Here's a suggestion:

Jim's Transmissions is one of the places to get the updated 1 piece bearing. This should keep the shaft from getting sloppy and causing leaks.

Old 12-29-2012 | 09:10 AM
bobbyjoes
|
Road Captain
Default got this info on another forum.hope it helps

Baker's is a one piece sealed bearing, not just a race. You'll loose the inner race, bearing, and seal to use it. S&S is a separate race, like the stock setup. It has a taper that positively locks the race on the mainshaft and cannot walk in like the OEM piece. You'll replace the stock inner with the S&S if you go that route, but it still uses the stock bearing, retainers and seal. If you go Baker's, don't need the tools if you just cut the old race off. No bearing race tools needed for assembly of the sealed bearing, but you still have to press the bearing into the inner primary. Cutting might be necessary anyway if the race has walked in and you can't get the tool on the shaft to pull the race normally. With the S&S, you will need at least the installer tool, even if you cut the stocker off. Best to use the puller too so as not to risk damaging the mainshaft during cutting.

Best to do some disassembly and cleaning to find out exactly where the leak is before deciding to replace something that possibly doesn't need replacing. There are a lot of places in that area that could be the cause of the leak.

I have the S&S on now, I'm happy with it. My stocker walked twice, leaked for years. It probably cost me a new front pulley. Over time it picked up enough road crud to eat the teeth pretty good. I would say to make sure that it doesn't leak if you ever put an Aluminum pulley on the front. They get eaten a lot faster than steel. I went through one of those too in less than 2 years before I finally fixed everything in that area.

I didn't try the Baker's bearing. I used the All-***** version instead. It worked fine for about 1 1/2 years before I had it apart again to replace the shifter shaft lever, that came loose and couldn't be tightened. It didn't leak a drop and I wasn't having any problems with it, but I noticed a little roughness in the bearing, so I decided to go the S&S route. So far, no leaks and it fixed the walking problem for good

Old 12-29-2012 | 09:29 AM
Lakerat
Road Warrior

So bobbyjoes, which way are you leaning and why? I kinda like the idea of the 1 piece sealed bearing for the purpose of blocking contamination from the primary oil (clutch dust) and ease of installation.

Old 12-29-2012 | 10:34 AM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member

One piece bearing.

Just my engineering thoughts below but sure this bearing works fine.

This is an interesting design that would normally have a light press on the inner race. In this application, the normal load on the bearing would prevent the transmission main shaft from spinning on the inner race bore. However if by chance this which I think is a ball bearing which has a lot less load capacity then a needle bearing roller bearing fails, it could take out the transmission main shaft. I have seen a lot of shielded bearings in applications were they run in oil. They have a metal shield rather the a rubber seal. In this way they keep out large metal crud but yet use the liquid lubricant and the load of grease they come with. Works real well in Toyota manual transmissions. Cannot really tell by the picture the type of seal but probably rubber and designed for a belt drive primary.

Old 12-29-2012 | 01:11 PM
bobbyjoes
|
Road Captain

i think i am leaning towards the S&S ,,other forums say you can cut the old race off with dremmel,be carefull of course not to hit main shaft and press on with washers and pvc pipe ,havnt got the detailed info on that yet but when i do i will let you know,