Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

softail slim rear fender.

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2013, 10:56 AM
K.Harland_17
Advanced
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by drnk_n_publick
Oh hell yeah. Keep us posted. What are the plans for paint?
paint is a problem for me. as you can tell i have a lot of black on there and i dont know what color i could use to have a good contrast with all that black. any ideas?

Old 02-01-2013, 03:06 PM
hap
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Really like that look. Would any year fit as long as you have the struts to match the fender? Got a line on some 2005 deluxe fenders I would like to try.

Old 02-01-2013, 05:17 PM
Ronin99
Cruiser
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm liking your bike and direction. I've been beating my head against the wall about what paint to go with as well. Are you thinking you want it old school? I think a blue, similar to whats on an old 'Knuck' would be good with your brown bags and black etc.

Old 02-01-2013, 05:21 PM
drnk_n_publick
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by K.Harland_17
paint is a problem for me. as you can tell i have a lot of black on there and i dont know what color i could use to have a good contrast with all that black. any ideas?
I think any darker vintage shade would look nice on your bike. Similar to something you might see on a 30-40s era auto. Wouldn't give you a ton of contrast but would give the bike a nice subtle vintage look. I'm leaning towards a deep burgundy myself.

Last edited by drnk_n_publick; 02-01-2013 at 05:24 PM.
Old 02-04-2013, 10:14 PM
K.Harland_17
Advanced

Originally Posted by drnk_n_publick
I think any darker vintage shade would look nice on your bike. Similar to something you might see on a 30-40s era auto. Wouldn't give you a ton of contrast but would give the bike a nice subtle vintage look. I'm leaning towards a deep burgundy myself.

i was thinking the same thing but right now i think i might just go back to black. luckily i have a buddy here that likes to paint and doesnt charge me much at his shop.

i have everything i need except for two brackets to support that rear fender. harley dropped the ball and ordered one side when clearly i need a set for the other side. weds they will have the parts.

ill show the before pictures when i have it all mounted.!

Old 02-04-2013, 10:16 PM
K.Harland_17
Advanced

Originally Posted by hap
Really like that look. Would any year fit as long as you have the struts to match the fender? Got a line on some 2005 deluxe fenders I would like to try.
im pretty sure the fenders are the same however you would have to get an 08 or newer styled strut. the 07 and older inner struts are welded to the frame.

Old 02-04-2013, 10:19 PM
K.Harland_17
Advanced

Originally Posted by Ronin99
I'm liking your bike and direction. I've been beating my head against the wall about what paint to go with as well. Are you thinking you want it old school? I think a blue, similar to whats on an old 'Knuck' would be good with your brown bags and black etc.
thanks man ill keep that in mind. I like the look on yours too. are you the one with the apes.? if so those are awesome. too bad i have short arms though haha.

Old 02-05-2013, 05:44 AM
Zedrx
Cruiser
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

OK, so I bought some Heritage struts for cheap on ebay. I wanted to see the difference between them and the slims. They are way different. I was hoping they would just be longer, but the bends are all different. If you swapped you wouldn't be able to use the Slim seat. I still might buy a cheap heritage fender and see if I can get it to work witth the slim struts.

Old 02-05-2013, 01:24 PM
K.Harland_17
Advanced

Originally Posted by Zedrx
OK, so I bought some Heritage struts for cheap on ebay. I wanted to see the difference between them and the slims. They are way different. I was hoping they would just be longer, but the bends are all different. If you swapped you wouldn't be able to use the Slim seat. I still might buy a cheap heritage fender and see if I can get it to work witth the slim struts.

yeah when i bought the struts and the fender i saw that problem with the seat. I am not going to cut the plastic on the seat either so i just bought the la pera barebones seat for a deluxe. good luck trying the slim struts id like to see what you come up with.

Old 02-07-2013, 10:10 PM
K.Harland_17
Advanced

today i got all my parts needed to complete the install before i send it off to paint.

ran into some issues while installing.
everything mounted up well but a little bit of cutting might be required since i lowered the fender. clearance was good. the other problem i ran into was the seat. since i lowered the rear fender the holes don't line up and i have about a 1 inch gap. buzz kill...

anyways here is what i have so far. i'll have to hit the books and see what i can do.... might have to be a job that will wait. such a heartbreak.

Name:  IMG_2832_zpsabf3faae.jpg
Views: 3076
Size:  98.4 KB

Name:  IMG_2830_zpse8bf011e.jpg
Views: 3315
Size:  89.9 KB

Quick Reply: softail slim rear fender.