Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Deluxe with Hard Bags?

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2012 | 07:28 PM
DynaJ
Road Master

The best thing to do here is get you some street glide/road glide bags get the cycle vision brackets and throw them on. Just make sure you have the bottom brackets on the correct way or you will have some issues on the way they look!! Its pretty straight forward you looking around 1500 that brackets painting and of course the bags. Late model hard nags are better because the are ABS not fiberglass a lot of painters don't want to mess with the fiberglass I'm sure they will but it can get costly if they have to make repairs. I had leather deluxe bags on my bike but I like color coated bags it just flows better but to each there own. Also the hard bags carry so much more than the aftermarket bags...

Old 12-27-2012 | 11:00 AM
sailingwj
Intermediate
Default No Pic

Originally Posted by Sandbox
I want to put some hard bags on my 2012 Deluxe, but am not sure what to look for. I was thinking about trying to find some used bags off a touring model, would this work? What, if anything, will hard bags encroach on the bike? I am running the factory exhaust now, I imagine that this will need to be swapped out. But what would work with a hard bag setup?
I guess the bottom line is, your taste. I can't upload a pic of mine since all my shots are taken with a high end camera and to much memory for this site....I see another bloke posted the bbreproduction web site for you...Rich and his son have posted dozens of pictures of Harleys with his bags on his site...mine is the Deluxe from Canandaigua...2 shots...you didn't mention the color of your Deluxe but the bags come in black or two different whites with different trim choices. I will agree the aren't huge but suffice..ample room for rain suit extra coat/gloves/scarf...can of plexxus etc with some room to spare...for day riding...and for trips the large sissy bar soft bag fills the gap, and removes in seconds. Once again...depends on you...practical or looks...seem to never intersect.

Old 12-27-2012 | 05:34 PM
thaghost
Tourer

as others stated, the cycle vision brackets are what you need. I like the sinister bags myself...

http://www.sinisterindustries.com/st...saddle-bags/3/

Old 12-27-2012 | 07:01 PM
cike
Tourer

just an FWI: I just did this to my wifes 06 deluxe tonight with cycle vision brackets, v&h true duals, and harley police style bags with pop-up latches .never gave any thought to the police bags but with running the stock seat police bags will not open due to the chrome seat rail..the instrustions said that you can mount the brackets to the outside of the frame (rear peg sppot) if your seat is wide. I tried this but it put a bad twist on the bags that I thought would end up cracking them if I left it this was..end result i had some 1/4" spacers that I put behind the top brackets (where the bags mount) and all seems to work, I'm gonna make some 3/8 just to give a little more room as they still rub..I cant' see how regular bags would fit with a stock seat without rubbing, although they would be able to open and close..(could be wrong as I dont have the normal touring style)

Old 12-27-2012 | 07:59 PM
Sandbox
|
Intermediate

Thanks for all the input everyone, definitely helping me envision how the bags will look. Keep the suggestions/pictures coming.

Old 12-28-2012 | 05:53 AM
thelawnmowerman
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by sailingwj
I guess the bottom line is, your taste. I can't upload a pic of mine since all my shots are taken with a high end camera and to much memory for this site....I see another bloke posted the bbreproduction web site for you...Rich and his son have posted dozens of pictures of Harleys with his bags on his site...mine is the Deluxe from Canandaigua...2 shots...you didn't mention the color of your Deluxe but the bags come in black or two different whites with different trim choices. I will agree the aren't huge but suffice..ample room for rain suit extra coat/gloves/scarf...can of plexxus etc with some room to spare...for day riding...and for trips the large sissy bar soft bag fills the gap, and removes in seconds. Once again...depends on you...practical or looks...seem to never intersect.
You bought a high end camera and dont know how to edit the pics down to make the filesize smaller? LOL ....DOH!

Old 12-28-2012 | 06:29 AM
sailingwj
Intermediate

Originally Posted by thelawnmowerman
You bought a high end camera and dont know how to edit the pics down to make the filesize smaller? LOL ....DOH!
Never had the need...but I guess the inference is I'm not smart enough to do so...you could offer something other than insults...

Old 12-28-2012 | 08:19 AM
NDBadlands4-2
Extreme HDF Member

I saw a heritage that had Road King leather bags on it. That was a good look.

Old 12-28-2012 | 07:04 PM
thelawnmowerman
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by sailingwj
Never had the need...but I guess the inference is I'm not smart enough to do so...you could offer something other than insults...
Yeah.. A moment of madness, sorry bout that, I was in a foul mood earlier on today.

Old 12-29-2012 | 07:17 AM
sailingwj
Intermediate
Smile Thanks

Originally Posted by thelawnmowerman
Yeah.. A moment of madness, sorry bout that, I was in a foul mood earlier on today.
Apology excepted...always did like guys from Liverpool...

Quick Reply: Deluxe with Hard Bags?