Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

removing inner primary case 2006 softail

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2012 | 11:10 PM
Ed K
|
Stage IV
Default removing inner primary case 2006 softail

I'm replacing a broken drive belt and having rouble removing the inner case. Should it come off without using some type pully? I've lightly hammered and pryed but it hasnt moved. I spoke with HD mechanic earlier today but he didnt mentioned that it would take special tool or would be that difficult to remove.

Old 12-22-2012 | 11:33 PM
kkiley
Road Master

It should come loose with light tapping. Did you remove the starter bolts? They hold it in place also, and are pretty hidden to remove.

Old 12-23-2012 | 05:19 AM
Alain
Elite HDF Member

Yeah, make sure you loosen those starter bolts. The case itself is probably not gonna budge untill you give it a little tap with a rubber hammer. That thing is probably singed on there from all the heat, it's a simple job.

Old 12-23-2012 | 08:07 AM
Hinson
Intermediate

Going with these guys on the 2 starter bolts. Gotta get to them from the right side of the bike under the oil tank. You can leave them resting in the holes of the starter, just screw them out of the primary.

Old 12-23-2012 | 08:17 AM
Ed K
|
Stage IV

On my way to garage now. I half *** looked from right side but obviously not very well. Its hell being stupid! Thanks to all and Merry Christmas

Old 12-23-2012 | 08:19 AM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member

On mine it's sort of a bear to get to the starter too and manual even says pull oil tank. With the line disconnect tools makes it a lot easier to get oil lines loose. It's a big job to replace the belt for a first timer and a lot of stuff has to be out of the way. Hope you have a Harley service manual. You have lot of different torques and settings to maintain for safety. Done wrong could get you or someone else seriously hurt or killed. Take pictures and post on here.

Old 12-23-2012 | 08:38 AM
kkiley
Road Master

It can be done without removing the oil tank, but you can BARELY see the bolts. You need a long handled T allen wrench and almost do it by feel. Use a good wrench or the torque will bend or break a cheap one.

Old 12-23-2012 | 08:53 AM
Hogpro
Former Sponsor

Good luck with the starter bolts. I used a ratchet with a long ball end allen. I did take the 4 bolts out of the oil tank so I could maneuver it around a bit. Definitely leave the rear starter bolt in the hole. I took it out and it was not too easy to get back in.

Old 12-23-2012 | 09:15 AM
8 UP
Cruiser

Also; replace the bolt and locking washer that mounts the starter drive gear with new parts, 9 times out of 10 that bolt (screw) will twist off when you try to torque it on.
Think about a chrome inner primary and chrome screws & washers while you have it apart!

Old 12-23-2012 | 12:05 PM
Lakerat
Road Warrior

Don't know about your TC, but on my EVO, there is a bolt from the backside underneath for the ground strap that goes into the IP housing. I used a 2X4 to "tap" the housing off from the back side with a 3lb hammer. Had I read the manual very carefully, I could have saved myself a lot of trouble. Now I get to call in a favor from my favorite welder friend.

Last edited by Lakerat; 12-23-2012 at 12:10 PM.

Quick Reply: removing inner primary case 2006 softail