Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lookin for a bobtail fender chop thread

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2012, 06:43 AM
Rbs68cgr
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Lookin for a bobtail fender chop thread

I'm gonna chop my bobtail off on my 07 fxstc & I've been lookin for a thread of someone that's already chopped a bobtail. Seen threads for other fenders for other bikes like Dynas mostly. But most people rotate fender & I can do that cause of flat spot for ECM. I would like to mount the fender to swingarm & move the ECM but not sure where it would fit since I'm going with a regular style solo seat. But it's likely I'll leave ECM on fender & leave fender on frame. I know this wont be a difficult mod, I'm just wanting to see if a thread is anywhere so I can pick up tips before I go choppin.

Old 12-14-2012, 07:14 AM
lucospock
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi, I was wondering the same thing, I did some search and found this: http://www.hotbikeweb.com/tech/1010_..._modification/
maybe you already know about it.....
I'm not a big fan of the result even if you could save some money with this option compared to other customized fender that can be pretty expensive. I also think you should lower the bobbed fender once you cut it to look nicer....
Good luck!

Old 12-14-2012, 07:48 AM
Rbs68cgr
Cruiser

Haha, yea I seen that thread. I'm getting rid of that bobtail, not trying to make it more noticeable. I thought that thread was a joke at first. I like the look of a clean fender attached to swingarm w/o ecm. But then you gotta move ecm & stick it under a spring seat. I dont know if anyone makes a seat the house ecm under it w/o seat being bulky. plus i want a low seat & dont wanna sit on ecm. I might have to get creative & do my own fab. But I do got lowering collars for bike to drop it 2". At least til I can pony up $ for an air ride.

Old 12-14-2012, 08:33 AM
jreichart
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Look up Dennyo, he just finished a fender chop:

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/softa...cs-update.html

Or look up nameless, he just went back to gangster, but had a sick chopped fender before that, check out this thread:

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/softa...l-bobbers.html

As for the ECM, it can be placed behind the splash guard, I believe Exile makes a kit for it, or you can go this route:

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/softa...i-battery.html

Last edited by jreichart; 12-14-2012 at 08:35 AM.
Old 12-14-2012, 09:44 AM
Rbs68cgr
Cruiser

I've seen Nameless & Denny'o bikes. Really sharp rides! I checked the post for moving ECM top of short battery. That seems to be a good route for me. I read a write up in a mag article about this company that makes these super small powerful batteries that will just keep cranking. I might go with an exile fender sometime later. Thanks for links Jreichart.

Old 12-15-2012, 03:00 AM
CSS_FXD
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Move your ECM behind splash gaurd and zip tie it in place. Then get a LE pera bare bones solo seat. Then use your raw struts with a 9" wide round top fender. Mark and drill holes paint and ride saving $2000 over heartland kit enjoy.

The following users liked this post:
americanworkmule (08-22-2016)