Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fxst

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2012 | 02:57 PM
Hurricane19
Road Captain

Originally Posted by lionsm13
Apples to oranges and definately no comparison between the two, and there's no comparison between a touring bike and a softail either.

Practically every one that I know out here in the Black Hills or we'll say in the Sturgis area, not that we do much riding or anything..mind you..has went from a smaller bike to a touring bike, or would really like to.

Again, most are getting up in years too which has quite a bit to do with it as well I'm sure.

Going from a softail to a touring bike
is like going from a Toyota Tacoma to a Chevy 2500 double cab.

However, I'm sure many would rather keep their Toyota Tacoma's too.
I assume that is where the term Geezer Glide comes from..

Old 12-11-2012 | 06:41 PM
lh4x4
Extreme HDF Member

lionsm13

Of course I have ridden the touring bikes. In my collection is a 10 Ultra, 12 RGC and a 12 RGC CVO.

The one that I like to ride the best is the FXSTC. Smoother and much more comfortable. Besides it looks much cooler. That's why I took it to Bike Week, Sturgis and Laughlin River Run when I wanted to ride in style. The rest of the time I go on the "BB's" (boring baggers).

Old 12-11-2012 | 08:56 PM
Jim Kraft
Outstanding HDF Member

I have never owned a bagger, but I have ridden them. I am 72 years old and love my 99 Softail Custom. I lost the motorcycle feel with the bagger, and the Softail Custom is just to much fun. I don't ride over 2 or 3 hundred miles a day anyway, and just cannot amagine doing it on anything else. When the 84 Softail first came out I thought it was the best looking chopper type bike I had ever seen, and still do.

Old 12-12-2012 | 09:20 AM
Harley_Dude
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by lionsm13
Apples to oranges and definately no comparison between the two, and there's no comparison between a touring bike and a softail either.

Again, most are getting up in years too which has quite a bit to do with it as well I'm sure.
This was an 2012 103" Ultra Classic I rented. Again wouldn't trade my 15 year old softail for it. Pretty sure I'd trade the '84 FLHS for it though.

As for being old me and my wife felt it was a pain to get on and off compared to the softail. She even said "why do they call these geezer glides"?

It did get me off being dead set against ABS. Could not get it to cross up even in the rain (and I tried). I have been 90° sideways on the softail (not fun). Also it didn't run near as hot as I had expected.

There is a reason they make 5 families of HD. At one time I wanted a road king bad, rented one and didn't care for it. Ride what makes you happy.

Old 12-12-2012 | 11:41 AM
lionsm13
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by Harley_Dude
This was an 2012 103" Ultra Classic I rented. Again wouldn't trade my 15 year old softail for it. Pretty sure I'd trade the '84 FLHS for it though.

As for being old me and my wife felt it was a pain to get on and off compared to the softail. She even said "why do they call these geezer glides"?

It did get me off being dead set against ABS. Could not get it to cross up even in the rain (and I tried). I have been 90° sideways on the softail (not fun). Also it didn't run near as hot as I had expected.

There is a reason they make 5 families of HD. At one time I wanted a road king bad, rented one and didn't care for it. Ride what makes you happy.
My wife and I like being comfortable,
that's why I suppose that I like the glide.

There ain't nothin' soft about a softail..
It ain't got much on a panhead and those things would jar your teeth out, but everyone thinks fondly of them. I don't why, but they do.

I really liked my softail as well, thought it was going to be my last bike, and as such had right around $20 K in it, and it was till I rode the glide, now the glide is..

Then again, there are die hards with their sportsters too that just wouldn't have or say that they would ever want anything better, or different.

People don't like change for some reason, probably cause they don't know or rather they don't want to know any-thing different is my guess/opinion.

Old 12-13-2012 | 06:30 AM
magnum629c
Outstanding HDF Member

There my favorite bikes

Old 12-13-2012 | 07:57 AM
magnum629c
Outstanding HDF Member
Old 12-16-2012 | 07:12 PM
Johneblast
Advanced

My 92'. Styles are definitely a personal thing.

Attached Thumbnails Fxst-0401121921_01.jpg  
Old 12-16-2012 | 07:55 PM
Jeffs386
Road Captain

I'll keep my FXSTC......if I want a trunk, dash,CD player,ABS brakes,I'll take my truck

Old 12-19-2012 | 09:50 PM
magnum629c
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by Jeffs386
I'll keep my FXSTC......if I want a trunk, dash,CD player,ABS brakes,I'll take my truck

Very true lol

Quick Reply: Fxst