Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2003 softail damaged crank position sensor

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2012 | 08:54 PM
jimdads
|
6th Gear
Default 2003 softail damaged crank position sensor

While I was doing an oil change I had removed my cps to get my oil filter out easier noticing it had chips missing off the edges and markings from something hitting it from the inside of the motor. There where pieces of plastic from the sensor in my oil filter . Thinking about this and it came to my attention that this is a problem I have been experiencing for quite some time , rough starts , motor coughing through carb timing just seems to be out . So I guess my question is does a big twin have an exciter ring that is attached to the crank that could have possibly chipped and loose pieces of metal hitting the cps or ring is not round anymore and hitting cps. What else or where else can I look to confirm this is whats happening is there a site I could go on to see an exploded view of these components ?

Old 12-09-2012 | 09:02 PM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member

No, it the fly wheel part of the crank spinning and if that was loose the motor would not run or bang like crazy. You need to get you a strap or notch off side of filter wrench cup with hacksaw. If the part you see fell in the motor they would have never made it back to filter. At worst they would have gone back thru return part of oil pump to oil bag and got trapped there. The notches you see break the field of the cps. There is one tooth missing to tell engine position. Its a Hall effect sensor transducer that output voltage in response to a magnetic field. The coil is the cps and if you do not see anything but plastic you are OK and I bet it still works fine

Last edited by Jackie Paper; 09-14-2018 at 11:26 AM.
Old 12-09-2012 | 09:25 PM
QC
Club Member
Riders Club Member

Were the pieces of plastic in your filter orange? If so, You need to take a look at your cam chain tensioners. If those have failed I imagine that would cause the timeing problems you're describing as the cams wouldn't be under proper tension and flop back and forth, messing with all that. Just an idea.

Old 03-23-2013 | 07:17 AM
jimdads
|
6th Gear

The pieces of plastic were black I have just purchased a new cps , to see how much of it was missing there is a considerable amount missing off it ,the metal diode is exposed and is marred against crank side I am going to remove and try to inspect with a camera . The cam tensioner feet look to be in perfect condition I had initially thought that was my problem from the start. So here is another question when starting the bike sometimes the starter sounds like it almost jumps a tooth if by chance the starter had bro,e a tooth off the crank would that tooth be floating around inside the case and possibly got trapped in between the exciter ring and cps causing it to break the cps ? I know I am really reaching here but gotta get to the bottom of this

Old 08-18-2014 | 12:44 AM
rolandos64
Stage II

Jimsdads, did you ever resolve this issue?
I'm having the same issue.
Just bought a 07 road king. 49,000 miles 32 miles from when i leave owner it dies on me.
Check codes, I get p0152, p0374, b1155, I remove ckp and it's been chewed. The top has, the one facing flyweel. Anyone have any ideas why? Is it safe to replace? Or will this happen again?
I'm guessing I have to replace oil and filter. I ran good up until then. No idea this would happen. Owner died, son sold me bike. Or so he said.... Please help

Old 10-10-2014 | 11:39 AM
lowcoone
6th Gear

I have 2006 rkc it's doing the same thing

Old 10-10-2014 | 11:40 AM
lowcoone
6th Gear

I need help