Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SoftBrake Tombstone Housing

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2012 | 09:08 PM
Redbeard719
Grand HDF Member
Veteran: Marine Corp

Looks good. Those light housings from Softbrake are awesome.

I did it when I had my 2009 Deluxe did it on my Heritage Springer when I moved the turn signals off the fender struts.

Kozy is right - you need to do something to light up your license plate. I went with the lighted plate frame from Custom Dynamics. It's super thing, unlike the gaudy HD ones, and it has LEDs embedded in the top, but hidden from sight.

You need to notch the plate the the relocator for the wiring, but it's not noticeable.

Old 12-08-2012 | 12:04 AM
Vic Bronco
Road Captain

Sorry, just so I'm clear, the softbrake replacement housing for undermounting your plate doesn't have a clear window on the bottom of the housing? I thought that was the main reason that you had to get a new housing to go with the bottom bracket.

Old 12-08-2012 | 12:22 AM
celticdevildog
Tourer

I ordered a softbrake relocation light and bracket as well as a custom dynamic lighted frame. I am still waiting for my softbrake stuff to ship too. When I ordered it 2 weeks ago or so he told me it would be shipped around this time. So hopefully I'll get it soon.

As for the light, the softbrake housing does NOT have a way to light the plate. And the guy I talked to when I ordered mine recommended custom dynamics for a lighted frame.

I can't wait to get mine since the bikes just look better without the plate sticking up.

Old 12-08-2012 | 08:21 AM
xdelaforcex
|
Intermediate

I'm not going to run a light on my plate at all. i know i run the risk of getting pulled-over/ticketed for it, but this is just how i feel about it. same reason I dont run a front plate on my car in a state that "requires" it.

the plate being gone from above the housing completely changes the lines of the bike. I think Harley was lazy initially and decided to call it "nostalgic." should have done it right the first time.

Old 12-08-2012 | 05:39 PM
GinsengSullivan
Tourer

Is there a preference between the Radiantz and Custom Dynamics LED Lisence Frames? I'm doing the softbrake relo this winter and was going to get the Radiantz frame.

Thanks guys

Old 12-08-2012 | 06:54 PM
Vic Bronco
Road Captain

What's the wiring setup for these things look like? Best I can tell from the photos it's just two wires you have to solder in, which is kind of shitty since the last time I tried something like this was on my last bike with an Arlen Ness plate frame with turn signals. I patched it in fine and it worked for a week or so before it started to blow fuses every time I used it. Eventually I just unplugged it altogether.

Obviously electrical isn't my strong suit, can anyone dumb down the splicing in for me so I can wrap my head around it and not worry the same thing would happen here if I installed the custom dynamics one? When I ordered the softbrake one I was under the impression the new tail light housing would have a small window at the bottom that would give off enough light for the plate.

Old 12-08-2012 | 09:37 PM
kozy22
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by GinsengSullivan
Is there a preference between the Radiantz and Custom Dynamics LED Lisence Frames? I'm doing the softbrake relo this winter and was going to get the Radiantz frame.

Thanks guys
I just used two bolt lights. Got them from eBay for $10. Looks cleaner to me

Old 12-09-2012 | 12:00 AM
Redbeard719
Grand HDF Member
Veteran: Marine Corp

Originally Posted by GinsengSullivan

Thanks guys
Mine is on this page:

http://www.customdynamics.com/illumi...nce_plates.htm

It is the lower profile, sleeker design. When I got it, if it hadn't been for the wires, I would have thought they sent the wrong one. It really is that thin.