Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ignition keys standard ?

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2012 | 06:11 PM
cruzomatic
|
Road Master
Default Ignition keys standard ?

Might be a dumb question, but have to ask it. Are HD keys standard? I only received one key when purchasing my bike and was told by the dealership that they are ordering another one. 7-8 days before it arrives.

Old 12-06-2012 | 06:54 PM
olongapo1
Road Master

Harley ships bikes with two keys. Apparently one of your keys has fallen through the cracks, either by Harley or the Dealership. Dealerships can order duplicate keys by using the frame number. FYI, if in the future you decide to order more keys at your own cost, you're going to be surprised at the price. It's cheaper to order a new aftermarket ignition switch which comes with 2 keys. Got one from JP Cycles which was higher quality than the stock Harley switch.

Old 12-06-2012 | 07:00 PM
mmcbeat
Elite HDF Member

Just go to a local locksmith and have a couple of keys made, a couple of bucks each.

Old 12-06-2012 | 07:07 PM
fdb2007
Road Master

Originally Posted by olongapo1
Harley ships bikes with two keys. Apparently one of your keys has fallen through the cracks, either by Harley or the Dealership. Dealerships can order duplicate keys by using the frame number. FYI, if in the future you decide to order more keys at your own cost, you're going to be surprised at the price. It's cheaper to order a new aftermarket ignition switch which comes with 2 keys. Got one from JP Cycles which was higher quality than the stock Harley switch.
I'll bite, what makes it higher quality? Just curious as to how you you came to this assessment. Not sayin' it aint, just wondering. It's winter and beats talking about MC patches.

Last edited by fdb2007; 12-06-2012 at 07:09 PM.
Old 12-06-2012 | 07:07 PM
Bone Doc
Seasoned HDF Member

I don't know how much a replacement key is from HD or how much the aftermarket ignition switch is olongapo1 mentioned but another option is to purchase the Lockset for Heritage Flat Top & Lock Kit. It comes with two barrel locks and two keys matched to the ignition. It costs $39.95.

http://www.harley-davidson.com/gma/g...6&default=none

Old 12-06-2012 | 07:10 PM
cruzomatic
|
Road Master

Ok, I was told it was on the bike when I took delivery of it at my home. I responded, "No it wasn't". Even the delivery dude helped me look for it, but nothing. I've been jumping through hoops to get a second one. Went back today to get a second security fob programmed as that was missing as well. Was told I'll have a second key in about 8 days, which they'll mail to me.

Thanks...

Old 12-06-2012 | 07:16 PM
Deucedog
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by olongapo1
This past summer I purchased two extra keys for my 06 Deuce, it took about a week and the cost was $20, so maybe different years/models are more expensive??

Old 12-06-2012 | 07:23 PM
Bone Doc
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by cruzomatic
Ok, I was told it was on the bike when I took delivery of it at my home. I responded, "No it wasn't". Even the delivery dude helped me look for it, but nothing. I've been jumping through hoops to get a second one. Went back today to get a second security fob programmed as that was missing as well. Was told I'll have a second key in about 8 days, which they'll mail to me.

Thanks...
Yeah...checks in the mail too! Just sayin'

Old 12-06-2012 | 08:22 PM
olongapo1
Road Master

Apparently I'm required to justify my previous post! OK, roughly 4 years ago I purchased an 02 Fatboy without any keys. Seller had lost them. Ordered 2 replacement keys from a Harley dealer in Washington State and was charged close to 45 dollars. A year later, the ignition switch gave out so I ordered an aftermarket replacement switch from JP Cycles for roughly 40 bucks. The switch came with 2 keys and compared side by side to the stock switch it was of much better construction. Better chrome, heavier construction, and a more solidly constructed hinge on the cover.

Every time I purchase a used bike I replace the ignition switch just for the comfort of knowing I have the only keys. By the way, these switches do often fail. I've replaced many on my brothers bikes and carry an extra in my saddlebags for road side repairs.

Old 12-06-2012 | 08:23 PM
RANGER73
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Army

I ordered replacement key from the local dealer, He was in trouble with the MOCO so they wouldn't ship it. But that's another story.
Anyway the key was $14.00.
Found and ordered blanks on line, 2 for $8.00, and the local hardware shore cut them for free.

Quick Reply: Ignition keys standard ?