Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ignition keys standard ?

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2012 | 08:50 PM
skiddd
Supporter

Originally Posted by mmcbeat
Just go to a local locksmith and have a couple of keys made, a couple of bucks each.

I just recently did this as I lost one key, cost me 10 bucks for 2 new ones. Of course When loosing the ignition key I also lost the key to the the locks that hold the saddle
bags on,THE ONLY KEY I HAD! cost me a hundred bucks to get new ones made, now I have 3 of each, ignition and saddlebags........ Grrrrr!

Old 12-06-2012 | 09:11 PM
fdb2007
Road Master

Originally Posted by olongapo1
Apparently I'm required to justify my previous post! OK, roughly 4 years ago I purchased an 02 Fatboy without any keys. Seller had lost them. Ordered 2 replacement keys from a Harley dealer in Washington State and was charged close to 45 dollars. A year later, the ignition switch gave out so I ordered an aftermarket replacement switch from JP Cycles for roughly 40 bucks. The switch came with 2 keys and compared side by side to the stock switch it was of much better construction. Better chrome, heavier construction, and a more solidly constructed hinge on the cover.

Every time I purchase a used bike I replace the ignition switch just for the comfort of knowing I have the only keys. By the way, these switches do often fail. I've replaced many on my brothers bikes and carry an extra in my saddlebags for road side repairs.
You don't have to justify it, I was just curious. You've read the same stuff I have on here from folks who think all things HD are crap (which I find curious), but often can't say why. I appreciate you saying why.

Old 12-06-2012 | 11:03 PM
NDBadlands4-2
Extreme HDF Member

Originally Posted by cruzomatic
Might be a dumb question, but have to ask it. Are HD keys standard? I only received one key when purchasing my bike and was told by the dealership that they are ordering another one. 7-8 days before it arrives.
When I got my Night Train it only had one key. Same deal with you, I got mine in the mail about a week later. I got two extra keys. The dealer said that they can only order them in pairs.

Old 12-07-2012 | 01:26 AM
cruzomatic
|
Road Master

Originally Posted by NDBadlands4-2
When I got my Night Train it only had one key. Same deal with you, I got mine in the mail about a week later. I got two extra keys. The dealer said that they can only order them in pairs.

Well, I'm hoping they come through as promised. This has been the most stressful purchase of my 39 (almost 40) year life. Customer service was great, before and during the sale. After the sale.......they completely fell off the charts with customer service. I'll never deal with them again......lesson learned.

Old 12-07-2012 | 05:19 AM
Guitardude
Club Member

the Key is a basic ACE key, we have the same keys on alarm systems in a couple of places....any locksmith can make you one and give you the cut code. Stick it in your wallet or prgram it in your phone, and if you are ever in a situation where you lose the key you can call and have one cut.

Now if you want it to say "Harley" on it, grab your ankles and bend over

Last edited by Guitardude; 12-07-2012 at 05:50 AM.
Old 12-07-2012 | 05:30 AM
Bone Doc
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by Guitardude
the Key is a basic ACE key, we have the same keys on alarm systems in a couple of places....any locksmith can make you one and give you the cut code. Stick it in your wallet or prgram it in your phone, and if you are ever in a situation where you lose the key you can call and have one cut.

Now if you want it to say "Harly" on it, grab your ankles and bend over
No KY? Maybe a dinner or movie at least? LOL

Old 12-07-2012 | 05:40 AM
Guitardude
Club Member

Originally Posted by Bone Doc
What? The "romance" of owning a Harely isn't enough...or are you trying to make this a lube thread?

Old 12-07-2012 | 06:06 AM
jadlh
Cruiser

When I bought my bike it came with 2 keys but there is a lock at the front to lock the handlebars, my keys "only" fit the ignition. So how much does it cost to get this changed or get a key for the steering lock...is it worth it?
I very seldom have used my key and obviously a previous owner lost or broke the previous key to the ignition/steering but it seems it might have value to be able to lock the steering.

Old 12-07-2012 | 08:00 AM
kzoo
Road Master

Originally Posted by Bone Doc
Can you get synthetic KY?

Old 12-07-2012 | 08:07 AM
Guitardude
Club Member

Originally Posted by kzoo
Can you get synthetic KY?
Yes, but it is slicker than normal KY, so it over-lubes.

And it leaves a rash...or so I'm told.

Quick Reply: Ignition keys standard ?