Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

05 Heritage Deceleration Wobble

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2012 | 11:17 AM
c_sprouse
|
6th Gear
Default 05 Heritage Deceleration Wobble

Not sure what all the causes could be for this but anytime I am riding around town at a cruise, I feel a slight wobble. If anyone has rode around and started to get a flat tire, its a feeling of that lopping over itself. As soon as I give it some throttle, it smoothes out. All the way until I let off and the wobble is there again. Also, was riding out of town on the highway, and anytime I would let go of the throttle with no brake from 80 down to 65, it was tremendous. Especially on roads that have some wear to em and your lane has tire divits. Never the less its been garaged since, and have been working on my dad's bike. Well his is done and Im gonna tackle this little devil. Any thoughts? Iv looked around and I wouldnt think that a spoke would have come loose, nor do I think the rim is bent. Tire has the correct psi. But im wondering if the balancers have a knack for going bad, or would I be better off looking towards the steering head?

Thanks guys.!

Old 12-06-2012 | 11:36 AM
DynaJ
Road Master

Check your tire this happened to me on my springer changed the front tire and that fixed it..

Old 12-06-2012 | 11:43 AM
Hogpro
Former Sponsor

Tire pressure, spokes for tightness or if any are broken, belt alignment, steering head bearings, wheel balance...

Old 12-06-2012 | 11:47 AM
Bigfoot1
Road Captain

I'd go after the neck bearings first. Seen it lots in the shop.

Old 12-06-2012 | 11:55 AM
c_sprouse
|
6th Gear

The front tire was replaced by HD probably 5 months ago, but I didnt purchase any warranty with it so who knows if they'l service it under warranty or not.

Ill look at the spokes and rim to make sure, but I dont have a balancer, so I am going to try to knock out what I can first.

Ill look at the belt to make sure its not being frayed or is maladjusted.

In the steering head, Iv read the "fall away" test is the best way to determine overtightening or undertightening. Opinions?

If all else fails im going to take it to the shop. (luckily were bout in winter here in Kansas, so no heartache on leaving it garaged up)

Old 12-06-2012 | 12:04 PM
Bigfoot1
Road Captain

The fall away test has not failed me yet. Dad taught me that one when I was little. It's a real quick no $$$ way to see where you're at.

Old 12-06-2012 | 01:01 PM
Ramboamt
Road Warrior

If not sure on how to do the fall away test check out the latest American Iron Magazine as they have a good article on how to do this test.
And another thought, possible Swing arm bearings loose/worn?

Last edited by Ramboamt; 12-06-2012 at 01:04 PM.
Old 12-07-2012 | 09:35 AM
oct1949
Club Member

Originally Posted by Hogpro
Tire pressure, spokes for tightness or if any are broken, belt alignment, steering head bearings, wheel balance...
plus might check wheel bearings if all above is correct.

Old 12-07-2012 | 10:02 AM
jadlh
Cruiser

Since I have an 05 FB, I certainly would like to hear what your solution is, please let us know.

Old 12-10-2012 | 01:24 PM
c_sprouse
|
6th Gear

Well I got the bike on the jack the other day and did a fall away test. Got it dialed in. Started looking around and spinning both tires to see if anything was out of round. Then started hearing some clinking sounds on the rear tire. Looked closer and I have about 4 broken spokes on both sides of the rim. So im going to go ahead and guess this is the problem. I will update later on down the road to see if this fixes it.

Quick Reply: 05 Heritage Deceleration Wobble