Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thoughts on Progressive Drop In Front Lowering Springs

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2012 | 11:08 AM
silent bob
|
Advanced
Default Thoughts on Progressive Drop In Front Lowering Springs

What is everyone's experience with Progressive's drop in front lowering springs? Did the ride suffer? Was it better? Did you use heavier weight fork oil? Did you have to use a shorter kickstand?

I'm looking for honest opinions on how hard the install was and if it was worth it and how the springs performed vs stock.

Old 12-05-2012 | 12:20 PM
tbonetony06
Outstanding HDF Member

I dropped in the progressive monotubes and lowered it an inch at the same time. I didn't see any sense in pulling my springs out only to buy new springs and drop them back in. I also did it in anticipation of putting the Shotgun on my bike. I think it is a match made in heaven and the monotubes compliment the Shotgun very well. It is a tad stiffer, maybe because I lowered it an inch, but I love how it rides. I feel I have better control because it feels like it is pushing down on the road a little harder when in curves and such. IMHO, there is not better way to go for my money.

Old 12-05-2012 | 04:36 PM
olongapo1
Road Master

I've been down this road. The bike is an 02 Fatboy, fully accessorized with large saddlebags, light nacelle, passing lamps, a lot of extra weight. I use this bike mostly for cruising. I first installed Progressive 422 shocks and lowered the rear 1 inch. My goal then was to dial-in the front suspension to provide a smooth comfortable ride while at the same time improving handling characteristics. Progressive drop-in springs were the natural choice.

The term "Drop In" which would imply easy, is misleading. On Fatboy's and Heritage's the fork tubes must be removed. Add to this, the removal of my light nacelle and passing lamps and of course the wheel and fender. It's a full day job to disassemble and reassemble correctly.

Progressive's drop in springs kit include PVC Spacers which must be cut to the proper length. The instructions give recommendations however the length is dependent on desired ride height and rebound. Quarter inch increments can make a difference. Additionally, fluid weight and amount add to the equation.

I spent many man-hours disassembling and reassembling the front end, adjusting the spacer length trying to find the "Sweet Spot" but just couldn't get it dialed-in to my satisfaction. I eventually removed the Drop-Ins and installed Progressive Mono Tubes.

The Mono Tubes hit the mark! The suspension rides smoothly over rough roads yet handles properly in the curves. An added benefit is not having to change fork oil as a service requirement. The Mono Tube kit includes 4 horse shoe spacers, each 1/4 inch thick so a decision must be made as to the number of spacers required.

Old 12-05-2012 | 06:06 PM
Psyclism
Intermediate

I "third" the recommendation for the monotubes. They make the low tech harley fork internals into something a bit more modern, and suspension performance is increased as a result. Stock, the front suspension is soft, but also very prone to severe compression under hard braking, and it can't quite keep up when you hit bumps during spirited cornering. The monotubes fix all of that. The ride quality, at least after I lowered my bike one inch, is definitely less "cush", but it's not harsh either.

And considering the amount of effort required to install anything inside the forks of an FL equipped bike, I'd really REALLY recommend you spend the extra $ to do it right the first time.

Old 12-05-2012 | 07:50 PM
jreichart
Road Warrior

I went with the progressive non drop in full kit. It achieves the drop by adding damper springs as well as shorter main springs. A bit more work to install as the shocks need to be completely torn down, but a better setup IMO. I also installed a set of Ricor Intiminators at the same time. They are a disc valve system similar to the discs found in automotive shocks. The setup is stiffer than stock, but I was hoping for that. The stock setup is a bit mushy anyway. Handling is improved and the bike feels a bit tighter in the corners. I don't regret lowering the front at all.

Old 12-05-2012 | 07:58 PM
aces&8s
Ultimate HDF Member

Save yourself a lot of money and just put in the regular progressive springs with stock wt oil and you will have a great ride.

Old 12-05-2012 | 08:02 PM
t34418l3-1
Cruiser

I love mine!! Lowered my front 2" usingjust under the suggested PVC spacer length, it's not hard at all if you have basic common sense, i did drain my old fork oil out and replaced with SE heavy fork oil, i have air ride for the rear and i have no problem using my stock kickstand.

Here is a pic, you get the idea, sorry for poor phototube quality!

Old 12-05-2012 | 08:42 PM
JohnK-NJ
Tourer

Originally Posted by aces&8s
Save yourself a lot of money and just put in the regular progressive springs with stock wt oil and you will have a great ride.
What is "regular" stock length?

Old 12-05-2012 | 09:42 PM
Brent Smith
Cruiser

Olongapol, Did you go with stock length or did you drop it some?

Old 12-06-2012 | 04:24 AM
Rodzilla6
Road Warrior

Just put new progressives in the front of my rocker last night...1 hr job including beer drinking/straight forward WITH A MANUAL. We found it easier to pull them off the bike and work on them in a vice. I KNOW IT DOES NOT TO BE SAID BUT TO BE SAFE, THE SPRING IS UNDER PRESSURE WHEN YOU UNSCREW IT!!! BE CAREFUL!!! BODY PARTS OUT OF WAY...BUT, WE FOUND IT EASY TO MANAGE IF YOU ARE AWARE. It was easier to do with 2 beer drinking humans minimum. When putting back on, I held a 14" 2x4 board across the top and pulled the cap down while my buddy worked the wrench and it was very easy that way...someone's idea on here previously...take all the weight off the front end. Note, some bike have 2 caps on top of the tube (one under the other...rocker...) and some only one...check a manual first. My idept. mechanic gets my parts also and he got me the prog. kit for 78 bucks, good deal. Not lowered.

Quick Reply: Thoughts on Progressive Drop In Front Lowering Springs