Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

05 softail carby adjust for v&h big radius

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2012 | 03:00 AM
rockysas
|
Stage II
Default 05 softail carby adjust for v&h big radius

Can somebody help? I live in a remote area of south eastern Australia and have bought a set of Vance & hines big radius pipes and Kuryakyn Pro-R hypercharger for my 2005 softail standard (carby model)what changes do i have to make to my carb jetting and is there anything else that that needs to be changed ?,i can't get to a Harley dealer without some considerable travel,how hard is it to do ? many thanks..... hope you can help.......Ian L....rockysas ....ianlawrence50@yahoo.com.au

Old 12-04-2012 | 05:31 AM
roadkingharry
Road Captain

Originally Posted by rockysas
Can somebody help? I live in a remote area of south eastern Australia and have bought a set of Vance & hines big radius pipes and Kuryakyn Pro-R hypercharger for my 2005 softail standard (carby model)what changes do i have to make to my carb jetting and is there anything else that that needs to be changed ?,i can't get to a Harley dealer without some considerable travel,how hard is it to do ? many thanks..... hope you can help.......Ian L....rockysas ....ianlawrence50@yahoo.com.au
It's not technically difficult to tune your carb, it does require some patience and research on your part. Since you live out in the sticks and will probably be wrenching on your bike, I would get a service manual delivered to your house asap.Your stock carb and jets should be fine if you can adjust the a/f mix screw properly. The stock setting is set too lean so you have to get more gas into the flow. We just discussed carb tuning in the engine forum so go here to get info on removing the plug that covers the a/f mix screw and adjusting the a/f mix screw. You may want to order a 46 pilot jet and 190, 195 main jets just in case you need them but I would try to adjust the a/f mix first before ordering the jets. There are lots of threads about tuning a carb on the forum, read them and you can google "joe minton carb tuning" for more info. Good luck !

Old 12-04-2012 | 09:38 PM
rockysas
|
Stage II

To ROADKINGHARRY...........many thanks for your help........rockysas

Old 12-04-2012 | 09:46 PM
IronAss
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Army

I have one of these on my 05 carb and it makes adjustments infinitely easier. Going from sea level to high altitudes? No problem, just reach down and turn the easy to find thump screw.

They also have several helpful video's on the page the link below will take you to.

Good luck.

http://www.cv-performance.com/ez-just-mixture-screw/

Last edited by IronAss; 12-04-2012 at 09:50 PM.
Old 12-04-2012 | 09:48 PM
DeuceDudeXXX
6th Gear

most likely you'll be way lean... best way to tell is put in brand new plugs and put some miles on.... let cool and inspect the plugs.... "white" new looking=lean black sooty=rich nice brown color=perfect... tune carb from there... i personally dont think your F/M screw will be enough, but go by the plugs... if they stay "white" id go up one size on both pilot and main jets and try a Sporty needle... or raise your needle a bit.... like stated in the above post you need to do your homework on the CV carb and how to tune it... not hard, but a slow step by step process to get right...

Old 12-05-2012 | 06:26 AM
Hogpro
Former Sponsor

Here is another site with info. http://www.nightrider.com/biketech/hd_cv_mods.htm

I'd start but drilling the afr screw and adjusting that but rejetting would help and is really simple too. I have never drilled the vacuum port like night rider says to do as I have felt no need.