Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Heritage Softail Seat Question

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2012, 12:24 AM
VTGlideRider
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Heritage Softail Seat Question

Need to take the seat off my other half's 09 Heritage Softail to replace it with a solo super reduced reach seat. Have only taken the seat off my Ultra Classic so this will be a first. I understand you need torx screwdrivers to take the seat off, so I will have to get a set. Does anyone know what size so I can make sure the set I get has it? Also, I'm assuming I will be able to put the stock passenger pillion back on and use it with the new seat. Is this correct?

Thanks for your help!

Old 12-02-2012, 12:42 AM
ryanek9freak
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If I remember right, it's a T-27 or T-30. Just go buy a whole set, most sets will include everything from T10 to T-50, so you don't need to worry about that.

As far as attaching the factory pillion? I have no idea. All you can do is try.

Last edited by ryanek9freak; 12-02-2012 at 12:44 AM.
Old 12-02-2012, 03:30 AM
Bone Doc
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 10,871 Likes on 4,114 Posts

I'm curious when and why HD changed how the seat on a Heritage is attached. If model year '09 is attached by a Torx fitting, then it had to be '10 or later when they changed. Now, you only need a pair of pliers to remove the seat.

On my '12 Heritage the seat is attached by two knurled ***** between the seat and passenger pillion in the back and the seat frame fits into a flange on the bike frame in front. The passenger pillion is held in place by the knurled ***** in front and a single screw on the top of the fender.

Old 12-02-2012, 04:58 AM
VTGlideRider
Road Master

Originally Posted by Bone Doc
I'm curious when and why HD changed how the seat on a Heritage is attached. If model year '09 is attached by a Torx fitting, then it had to be '10 or later when they changed. Now, you only need a pair of pliers to remove the seat.

On my '12 Heritage the seat is attached by two knurled ***** between the seat and passenger pillion in the back and the seat frame fits into a flange on the bike frame in front. The passenger pillion is held in place by the knurled ***** in front and a single screw on the top of the fender.
From the searching I did both here in the forum and the web I found a couple of articles that both talked about having to remove torx screws to get the seat off. If I am wrong I would gladly stand corrected. Like I said, if it were my Ultra Classic no problem, but this is a first on the Heritage for me.

Old 12-02-2012, 06:20 AM
Zener
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My 2012 Heritage seat also doesn't use torx. There is a single large slotted bolt at the rear of the pillion seat in the top of the fender and two knurled ***** at the rear of the drivers seat -- and that's it. At the front of the driver's seat, right behind the tank, there is a slot that engages with a tongue on the underside of the seat. Be sure that the tongue engages when reinstalling the seat or the front of the seat will be loose.

The stock pillion should go back on with the new seat but you might want to talk to the parts guys at your dealer to confirm.

Old 12-02-2012, 08:24 AM
Bluraven
Grand HDF Member
Received 767 Likes on 466 Posts

Zener's 2012 is the same as my 2009 Heritage. All you need is a slotted screwdriver to take off the passenger pillion. The driver's seat needs no tools to remove.

1) Removed the slotted bolt behind the passenger pillion. It also has groves on it so if it's not too tight and you can get your hand in there you could turn it with your fingers, but if you have a luggage rack or if it's tight you'll probably need a slotted screwdriver.

2) Slide the passenger pillion "hand hold strap" forward off the pillion.

3) Then you lift the rear of the passenger pillion and slide it to the rear to remove it.

4) There's two hand tightened ***** that hold the driver's seat in place that need to be removed. No tools required to remove these.

5) Lift the rear of the driver's seat and slide it to the rear to remove it.

6) If the passenger pillion is not going to be reinstalled, remove the hand hold strap mentioned in step 2.

I would think that any aftermarket seat should allow for the passenger pillion to be re-installed as long as you reuse the driver's seat ***** due to the front of the passenger pillion slides into these ***** to secure the front of the pillion. If the reason to put the pillion back on is looks, you could leave the hand hold strap off, however the hand hold strap not only is something the passenger can hold on too, it also helps to provide added security in holding down the pillion.

As for the torx screws; if you want to remove the tank bib you will need two different torx bits. I'm not sure what size however any standard torx bit set should contain the bits.

Once the seat's off a couple of times it goes quick.

You might want to consider going out and buying a set of torx and allen bits. My Heritage is full of these type of bolts.

Also, E-bay has a good Clymer's manual for the '06-'09 Softails for $40. It's amazing how the simple things like removing a seat are made clear with the help of a basic service manual.

Craig

Last edited by Bluraven; 12-02-2012 at 08:37 AM.
Old 12-02-2012, 10:40 AM
NDBadlands4-2
Extreme HDF Member
Received 66 Likes on 56 Posts

I took the seat off a 2012 Heritage yesterday and needed nothing more for tools than a regular flat screwdriver.

Old 12-02-2012, 11:01 AM
VTGlideRider
Road Master

Thanks to all for their input and a shout-out to Blueraven for those great detailed instructions. Looks easy enough.

Forunately the seat isn't an aftermarket its an HD product so I'm hoping the passenger pillion will go back on with no problems.

Thanks again to all!

Old 12-03-2012, 10:51 AM
oct1949
Club Member
Received 817 Likes on 803 Posts

get one of these for Ur pillion seat at Ur dealer and U wont need any tools.

http://www.adventureharley.com/knurled-seat-****