Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Heritage or Street Glide?

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2012 | 03:05 AM
casbar
Cruiser

I've had an 07 Heritage for 5 years now. I've hired a RK for 2 days, and a SG for a couple of days. I have been hankering after a tourer for a year or so. After riding the SG and RK, I've made the decision to stick with the Heritage. Sort out the suspension, the Heritage rides as sweet as any tourer. Plus I like to take off the screen and bags and use around town. The RK looks pug ugly without its bags! Plus the RK and SG feel a lot heavier when slow riding, but I'm only 5ft 8, so the Heritage fits me better. I've done a couple of 1500 mile trips over the Summer and the bike is comfortable for both myself and my partner.

Each to their own, but I would be happy with any of them.

Old 12-01-2012 | 09:49 AM
MikeZ
Road Captain

Here's a thread I posted in the Spring on this subject:

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/softa...-heritage.html

Good luck. Ride 'em both and get what feels best to you. One thing I will add that I didn't mention in my short review: the stock SG and RG windscreens are a joke.

Old 12-01-2012 | 01:22 PM
oct1949
Club Member

I've rode my sons 10 Street Glide several times. Also a Road King. and an Ultra.

For the way the wife and I ride daily, 2-3 hrs and usually one 6-7 day trip a yr where I ride 7-9 hrs a day we still love the Heritage.

IMO its the best riding Softail they make, even better with some Air shocks. Which I still don't have, I am still fine with the stockers.

I do like the looks of the SG and Heritage, but as said above U have to get a new seat and taller shield and maybe even the Bars for the SG to fit the average person where the Heritage in stock form is absolutely a perfect fit Ergonomically for me.

I never listen to the radio at home or in the truck/car.. So I don't even want one on the bike..

I did get the wife the bigger/thicker touring seat and sissy bar pad and floorboards for Her comfort back there.
The 07 stock pillion seat was really thin and she felt every bump in the road. Now she can ride on our trips easily.

Old 12-01-2012 | 02:05 PM
utz
Outstanding HDF Member

I have riden my uncles street glide and its a awesome bike.But at my height of 5'6 it is allot of bike to manage around town and slow riding.I myself have a deluxe and love it so I am sure the heritage rides pretty much like the deluxe.And also you have the option of taking everything off the softail which you dont with the streetglide.Today there are many options for tunes.good luck in your decision

Old 12-01-2012 | 02:11 PM
mjrfd99
Grand HDF Member

I liked both - got a steal on the heritage.

Old 12-01-2012 | 03:20 PM
luc.who
Outstanding HDF Member
Veteran: Navy

I traded a road king for my X. Wish I could have kept the king too. But with 2 kids in college... I now have 25K on my X and its been a fun bike for me.

I do agree with the posters who recommended you rent both to see how they work for you on a long ride.

Old 12-01-2012 | 04:57 PM
Wide_Open
Ultimate HDF Member

I'd go Street Glide.

Old 12-01-2012 | 05:36 PM
KumaRide
Elite HDF Member

At times I think how nice it would be to have a SG or RK. Other times when I just want to ride for a few hours, or hit a couple stores real quick, visit the gf, or I'm really enjoying feeling the road, or when group riding with baggers that all look very similar where as my bike does not look like any other, the whole touring bike idea seems silly. I will say though, the only thing baggers have that would be useful for me are the dual disk brakes up front when riding 2up.

Old 12-01-2012 | 07:28 PM
09heritagerider
Road Captain

Completely different bikes...if you think you're going to do a ton of touring and enjoy music when you ride, then the SG is the clear choice. If most of your riding is short to medium distance with a few long trips here and there, the Heritage would suit you just fine. I'd rent them both and ride them hard to see what you like...well worth the money in the long run.

Old 12-01-2012 | 07:37 PM
RedneckMedic
1st Gear

I'm kinda biased I've rode all the models and prefer my shark the best. The RG is great and I wanted a SG for a long time until I test rode the shark on a rental because they were out of street glides. It's very maneuverable with tons of comfort. I think the stocker seat if perfect for me although the girlfriend isnt happy on long rides. With some apes it is by far the best touring bike or around town bike in my eyes.

Quick Reply: Heritage or Street Glide?