Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil Leak- Oil Drain Hose on Deuce

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2012 | 12:56 PM
2003Custom1200
|
Tourer
Default Oil Leak- Oil Drain Hose on Deuce

Well back towards the end of september, I noticed my 2007 Deuce had a slight oil leak, small spot under neath. Appeared it was coming off the oil drain tube. Didnt ride bike much after i noticed it, harvest time and cold weather.

Well decided i was gonna tear into it and fix it before winter storage, rather than keep it for a winter project and never get done, so pulled the pipes off, removed the loom around the hose.

It comes out the bottom of the oil tank with a 90* rubber hose, inserted into it is a hard plastic line that goes down to the drain plug.

Leaking at the rubber/plastic union. Either the plastic tube broke or just enough shrinkage the clamp lost seal.

So ordered a new one, got some screw type clamps, well part came in today, and the new piece is a complete rubber hose from oil tank to the drain plug.

No big deal, i rather have this then the way it was.

Was just curious if this is a common thing? Was it a Recall or a TSB at one point?

Obivoulsy it was an issue if harley updated the part design at some point along the way.

Old 11-30-2012 | 01:01 PM
02Deuces
Road Captain

my 2002 with 25k miles has never had any issues.

Only leaks I have had were from around my oil cooler lines under my oil filter....which took 2 turns on the clamp to fix.

Old 11-30-2012 | 06:32 PM
Softail HA
Cruiser

When I first had my 2011, I had it in twice for them to try and find the oil leak, they replaced gaskets on the transmission etc, I told them unless it is defying gravity it is not the transmission.The dealer knows best. I found the leak in about two minutes, rubber hose bottom of oil tank, the oiker clamp or whatever it is called was not compressing the hose enough. I replaced it with a stainless steel hose clamp and have not had a problem since, almost two years.

Old 04-02-2013 | 09:20 AM
HDmikie
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by 2003Custom1200
Well back towards the end of september, I noticed my 2007 Deuce had a slight oil leak, small spot under neath. Appeared it was coming off the oil drain tube. Didnt ride bike much after i noticed it, harvest time and cold weather.

Well decided i was gonna tear into it and fix it before winter storage, rather than keep it for a winter project and never get done, so pulled the pipes off, removed the loom around the hose.

It comes out the bottom of the oil tank with a 90* rubber hose, inserted into it is a hard plastic line that goes down to the drain plug.

Leaking at the rubber/plastic union. Either the plastic tube broke or just enough shrinkage the clamp lost seal.

So ordered a new one, got some screw type clamps, well part came in today, and the new piece is a complete rubber hose from oil tank to the drain plug.

No big deal, i rather have this then the way it was.

Was just curious if this is a common thing? Was it a Recall or a TSB at one point?

Obivoulsy it was an issue if harley updated the part design at some point along the way.
Just curious, did you have to remove the oil tank to replace the hose? And do you have a part number for the upgrade part? Thanks!

Old 04-02-2013 | 09:58 AM
QC
Club Member
Riders Club Member

I haven't seen any bulletin. The Oerliker clamps are a PITA to clamp behind the frame.
Close quarters in there, but tank doesn't have to be removed.

Old 04-02-2013 | 10:31 AM
2003Custom1200
|
Tourer

No I don't have the number... you can't order the 2 piece design anymore.
Didn't remove the tank got side cutters in there and got the clamps to come loose.

I used screw clamps when I replaced it. Would of been no way to clamp the oinker clamps

Old 04-02-2013 | 11:07 AM
HDmikie
Outstanding HDF Member

Thanks guys! Well I reckon it's my turn to bang up my knuckles.

Old 04-02-2013 | 12:44 PM
2003Custom1200
|
Tourer

Not that big of a deal. I did remove my pipes to make room... screw clamps amd a 1/4" rachet with extention made life easy

Old 04-02-2013 | 01:46 PM
HDmikie
Outstanding HDF Member

Not that big of a deal. I did remove my pipes to make room... screw clamps amd a 1/4" rachet with extention made life easy
Does the new part come with rubber fittings that fit on the back of tank and the drain plug? And did you remove the inner plastic fender? Thanks

Old 04-07-2013 | 03:13 PM
HDmikie
Outstanding HDF Member

I ended up buying the upgraded part from Harley and just finished the install. It wasn't too bad with the inner fender removed. So far, no leaks. The 1/4" ratchet with the worm-screw clamp was a life saver !!!! Btw, thanks for all the tips.

Quick Reply: Oil Leak- Oil Drain Hose on Deuce