Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Slip ons vs true duals and DFO

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2012 | 06:50 PM
gnewman
|
Road Captain
Default Slip ons vs true duals and DFO

Ok. Want to do some cosmetic/performance upgrades to my springer classic and need some input.

I'm looking at V&H fishtail slip ons which are about $450 and they also have the true dual exhaust with fishtail tips for about $800. Will I gain much if any performance going to a true dual over my current crossover? $350 worth of performance? If not, then I'll look at keeping my current exhaust, get the slipons and think about a cam upgrade.

Also, was about to pull the trigger on a power commander when a trusted buddy of mine recommended the DFO from custom chrome. Does anyone have any experience with the DFO?

Old 11-29-2012 | 07:05 PM
challutz
Cruiser

you will lose not gain when going to the true duals, thats what i did on mine and ended up doing the the cams to get it back. Its not much but running up here in the high country it was very noticable on my ride. BUt i like the sound and look of the duals . I have V&H true duals with samson slip ons

Old 11-29-2012 | 07:10 PM
gnewman
|
Road Captain

Originally Posted by challutz
you will lose not gain when going to the true duals, thats what i did on mine and ended up doing the the cams to get it back. Its not much but running up here in the high country it was very noticable on my ride. BUt i like the sound and look of the duals . I have V&H true duals with samson slip ons
Interesting. I would have thought it would have gained a little. Can I ask why you chose the Sampson slip ons over the V&H?

Old 11-30-2012 | 04:55 AM
challutz
Cruiser

I had the v&h slipons on at first , they sounded ok but they are small in diameter and very short in legnth they ended just about even with the back tire, so i found the samsons which were longer and a lot bigger in diameter that looked better with my setup, plus they have a much deeper tone.

Old 11-30-2012 | 10:57 AM
fall guy
Advanced

I lost power too with my Samson duals and ended up getting cams and tuner to make up the difference. Boy do they look good and sound nice though.

Old 11-30-2012 | 04:53 PM
gnewman
|
Road Captain

Ok. Thanks guys. In my mind, I would have thought true duals would not decrease performance. Why is it that you do?

Old 11-30-2012 | 09:19 PM
SanJuanRon
Outstanding HDF Member

True duals look awesome, but you lose a certain % of power. Not sure on the exact percentage. I have heard anywhere from maybe 2-3% on up. SJ Ron

Old 11-30-2012 | 10:06 PM
stailjim61
Road Captain

Go with the slipons. Either way you're gonna lose enough down low to feel it. Why pay extra to lose performance?

Old 12-01-2012 | 07:47 AM
gnewman
|
Road Captain

Ok. Thanks for the input guys. I'll be ordering slip ons later this week. And probably the DFO to tune her in.

Old 12-01-2012 | 12:13 PM
KumaRide
Elite HDF Member

Runnin a Dobeck DFO. It does what its suppose to, add fuel. Nothing to do with timing. Bike is cammed and does run better with it compared to the stage 1 download it has. Got it cheap otherwise I would have got something else that had more functionality, tuning/timing capabilities.

Quick Reply: Slip ons vs true duals and DFO