Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hyd Tensioner Upgrade Parts List

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2013 | 07:44 AM
cwsharp
Stellar HDF Member

I need to correct a statement that I made, slightly, based upon what my current research seems to be saying.

Andrews DOES NOT make a cam support plate. They USED TO sell a roller chain 'conversion kit' which it seems was actually an ingenious compilation of HD parts by Andrews that lets you use old style roller chains with new style hydraulic tensioners and their roller chain cams. As I hear it, HD nixed their idea and so now Andrews just gives you the list of parts from a mix of '07 and older style chain parts with skinnier sproket alignment spacers.

There are also, probably, a number of cams made by HD and others that will work with this parts list... an SE204 for example. Back when I changed mine I used the Hydraulic SE Support Plate by listening to others recommendations and the hype about hydraulic tensioners being the fix for the great cam tensioner debate. The safest, and probably comparably priced solution to the SE cam support plate conversion kit, in my mind is using the Andrews approach. While it costs more than the 'maintenance' approach that I discussed in my last message, it has better potential for solving all of the possible causes of the problems with this stupid design foisted upon us by the EPA and HD's solution to their EPA problems.

It appears that I am about to embark on trying this idea out on a buddies' bike. I will post a discussion that presents my findings once I am done, if it happens.

Old 05-16-2013 | 07:48 AM
soft 02
Seasoned HDF Member

Dam shame they shut Andrews kit down. That was the "go to" kit.