Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Im really liking these pipes ( EXILE ) anyone???

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2012, 04:28 PM
Double Trouble
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Im really liking these pipes ( EXILE ) anyone???

I have been looking around for some nice looking pipes. Love the pipes on the bike, but they are a bit to small in dia for me. Looking into V&H short shots, SS staggereds, then saw these. Def like how big they are. Any one have any exp with these? Have not seen a whole lot of them around, but that doesn't mean they are trash. Any info let me know.. Thanks

Attached Thumbnails Im really liking these pipes ( EXILE ) anyone???-kgrhqn-g8e2fjkeqttbnud6lphwg-_3.jpg  
Old 11-27-2012, 05:14 PM
jreichart
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I have them in black. Great pipes, priced right as long as you don't buy direct from Exile. Got mine for around $400 on Chromeaddiction.com IIRC. They do get hot. No heatshields, so it was a noticeable difference to the Straight Shots I had before them. Not entirely unbearable though. Wrapped mine last winter and it cut the heat down quite a bit. Great sound too, here's a vid clip, but keep in mind taken with a cell phone. Wish they were a little bassier, but they are plenty loud!

Old 11-27-2012, 05:19 PM
Double Trouble
Cruiser

Damn they sound really nice. I can get the chrome set for about 300 bucks. They are a double wall design, but I imagine that they will get a little hotter because the heat soak of the second pipe being part of the whole pipe. Do you like them better then the SS's? I am not to worried about loud, I am running cut down pipes with no baffles now. I take it the baffles were out in that vid? Thanks brotha.

Old 11-27-2012, 06:39 PM
jreichart
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

They are double wall, but with no air flow between the walls it really doesn't do much for cooling. Only noticeable at stops when the leg is right up next to them. Seat of the pants performance is about the same as the SS, but have not had it dynoed since the install. The sound is a bit tinier than the SS, but I think they sound better. The vid is with the baffles installed.

The only install issue I ran into was with the rear support bracket. It overlapped the screw that holds the rear brake light switch bracket to the frame. It was an easy fix though, just counter bored the back of the plate so the screw head wouldn't interfere.

Good luck, and post up some pics when ya get em!

Where in MD are ya?

Old 11-27-2012, 08:04 PM
micahpop
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'll second the hot part. I have the Exile drag pipes so it's my thigh that gets real toasty. Love the sound, though.

Old 11-27-2012, 08:15 PM
Double Trouble
Cruiser

Def def sound good IMO. I am about a hour east of you man. I am in Eastern Baltimore County.. Still up in the air. I like the V&H pipes, but these are bad *** aswell. Ahh decisions decisions.

Old 11-28-2012, 10:26 AM
tpyi
Novice

I liked the looks and sound of the Exile Monster Pipes I had on my train, but the heat did get me right in the calf in the summer. I have since then swapped out my pipes to V&H Big Shots Staggered w/quiet baffles, which are much quieter, but seem to have more bass. The exiles sounded a little tinny while riding at city speeds, but they sounded fine on a video clip I took. They aren't as loud as V&H SS and the sound almost disappears at highway/cruising speeds, drowned out by wind noise. Reviewing my video samples I actually like the sound of the Exile better than the Big Shots, but I was going for quieter exhaust, getting rid of the excessive heat on my leg, and I think I gained a little top end with the Big Shots. If you wanted black I would actually sell mine for pretty cheap, if interested. Here's a sound sample vid clip with the Exile Monster pipes: