Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ABS and Security ?

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2012 | 03:54 PM
rnl_1200C
|
Road Master
Default ABS and Security ?

After the holidays, I will be shopping for a 2013 or 2012 Heritage.
I am on a budget, and the added cost for ABS and Security puts the price a bit over what I want to spend.

Can anyone convince me if this option is worth it, and why.
I have heard both complaints and praise from owners.

I am also looking at the Street Glide.
I demo'ed both over long weekends and love both bikes equally for different reasons, but the Heritage is closer to what I can afford.

My kids are now out of the house, and I plan on taking longer trips.

thanks

Old 11-27-2012 | 04:35 PM
Smileman
Tourer

ABS is worth every penny.

Old 11-27-2012 | 04:39 PM
lightweight bob
Road Master
Default ABS for sure

Originally Posted by Smileman
+ 1 - panic stop = rear wheel lockup everytime for me at least.

Old 11-27-2012 | 04:42 PM
Radixx
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Smileman
Ditto. Especially if you do any country riding where animals have a habit of darting out in front of you.

Old 11-27-2012 | 04:50 PM
oct1949
Club Member

First Good choice on the Heritage, I have both sitting in the Garage right now.

Heritage, mine,, Street Glide is the Sons.. and I ridden Both enough to know the Heritage is What I like the best..

Now that statement would **** A Lot of Touring bikers off,,, But its the Truth..

The Ergo's and comfort of a stock Heritage is Better than a stock ST Glide, IMO.

Also I'll add I DO like the looks of a St Glide, but it needs a better seat, Higher shield and Higher Bars to make it fit me... VS my Heritage.

Also IMO the Heritage rides better than the St Glide..

Now as far as the ABS,, If U ride mostly in town or in the country,, I don't think its a big issue... BUT if out on the road and U have to hit the brakes HARD,, then I think ABS would be the CATS ***.

Never had it on a bike,, but I have had it in several cars that Saved me from having a WRECK.
I can think of 3 time that the ABS saved me for some ******* that pulled out in front of me in ICY conditions that I was able to steer away for them..

Same with a bike,, if the rears don't lock up, then U should be able to avoid an accident by staying up and steering away from having one.

Last edited by oct1949; 11-27-2012 at 04:57 PM.
Old 11-27-2012 | 04:55 PM
SLV
Elite HDF Member

Just FYI. From the factory, the security system and ABS are packaged together for I think $1200. However, if you decide you only want the security system, you can buy it as a dealer install for about $500 installed. I'm not sure if you can buy ABS as a dealer install item but it's worth asking if the budget is your concern.

Old 11-27-2012 | 05:06 PM
rnl_1200C
|
Road Master

Originally Posted by SLV
Just FYI. From the factory, the security system and ABS are packaged together for I think $1200. However, if you decide you only want the security system, you can buy it as a dealer install for about $500 installed. I'm not sure if you can buy ABS as a dealer install item but it's worth asking if the budget is your concern.
lets break it down to just the security system. Sorry for my ignorance, but wHat is it good for ?
I have a security on my sporty, and never use it.

Old 11-27-2012 | 05:21 PM
lightweight bob
Road Master
Default HD security .............

Originally Posted by rnl_1200C
lets break it down to just the security system. Sorry for my ignorance, but wHat is it good for ?
I have a security on my sporty, and never use it.
I don't know where you live and ride to but ................. $15 and fifteen minutes
will get you two small Radio Shack sirens / loud that wire right in. Set the system
to the most sensitive mode and it'll trip as they're stealing the bags off your
scoot. imho.

Old 11-27-2012 | 07:08 PM
Fierofly
Tourer

Security system also means you don't have to use a key as long as the key fob is on you. I've got both and won't buy another with out them.

Old 11-27-2012 | 07:34 PM
Deuuuce
Elite HDF Member

Get a touring bike if you can.

Those with ABS that have used it swear by it. I wouldn't buy a bike without it, given a choice.

Quick Reply: ABS and Security ?