Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ABS and Security ?

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2012 | 04:16 PM
_Gir_
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by casbar
ABS doesn't make a bike stop faster! In fact you can actually stop in a shorter distance without ABS if your a skilled rider. ABS does stop skidding and locking of wheels in a panic stop. ABS is still a very good safety feature and if there was an option would always have it. But I wouldn't swap a bike out just to upgrade to ABS
How many of us are actually skilled enough to max perform our brakes in a "OH SH*T" moment? In my opinion--very few.

Old 12-01-2012 | 09:29 PM
Gman in NC
Road Warrior

Don't have either one. Don't miss either one.

Old 12-02-2012 | 02:28 AM
casbar
Cruiser

Originally Posted by _Gir_
How many of us are actually skilled enough to max perform our brakes in a "OH SH*T" moment? In my opinion--very few.
I guess you are correct, but then how many of us have fallen off due to an "OH SH*T" moment without ABS. Fact is, if somebody pulls out in front of you, and you don't have enough distance to stop without ABS, your not going to have enough distance to stop with ABS! ABS will not help you stop, when there is no grip etc. ABS is a great safety feature, but too many riders see ABS as their saviour and the answer to everything. Defensive riding along awareness and some advanced riding training will help a lot as well.

Old 12-02-2012 | 07:37 AM
Zanotti
Advanced

I bought the set for the ABS, but find the security think is kind of cool. You never have to lock your bike and just get off and walk away.

You could even forget the entire thing, because you can add a code to activate the bike without keys or fobs. Its actually kind of neat.

Old 12-05-2012 | 03:42 PM
jamc1103
Intermediate

Is there a way to tell (by looking at it, or by serial #) is a Harley has ABS on it? Specifically an 05 Deuce?

Old 12-05-2012 | 05:02 PM
bikefxds
Tourer

Look brother...wife and I have had baggers since '04. Before that we had FXD's. We've always toured on shocked motorcycles for the last 33 years. In 2010 we switched to Softail Deluxes. Did our first long *** tour last year. 5,580 miles of pure luxery! Nothin' beats the ride of these softails. The added bonus is, in town they are the perfect handling motorcycle. Not top heavy like the baggers and a dream to move around in the garage. Thumbs down on any baggers any more...give me the softails!

Old 12-05-2012 | 05:14 PM
RedNose44
Extreme HDF Member
Veteran: Army

Originally Posted by Zanotti
I bought the set for the ABS, but find the security think is kind of cool. You never have to lock your bike and just get off and walk away.

You could even forget the entire thing, because you can add a code to activate the bike without keys or fobs. Its actually kind of neat.
I would at least lock the forks. It will make it a little harder for someone to push it into the back of a truck or onto a trailer.

Old 12-06-2012 | 05:19 PM
Deuuuce
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by jamc1103
Is there a way to tell (by looking at it, or by serial #) is a Harley has ABS on it? Specifically an 05 Deuce?
Absolutely not on a Deuce. In fact, iirc, ABS is only available on the touring bikes.

Old 12-07-2012 | 09:31 AM
Ramboamt
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Deuuuce
Absolutely not on a Deuce. In fact, iirc, ABS is only available on the touring bikes.
Don't know about that. We have the ABS system on our '12 Heritage.

Old 12-07-2012 | 08:21 PM
Mike Willmont
Tourer

Originally Posted by Deuuuce

Quick Reply: ABS and Security ?