Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ABS and Security ?

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2012 | 05:33 AM
Timmy B
Outstanding HDF Member
From: 12 year, Colombia, 4 years Mexico, currently In Kuwait, but Boston is HOME!!

I hav e 2010 FLHTK and just traded my 2004 sporty for 2004 road king and King is a great bike, but I wish I had the ABS on it. ABS is worth the money.

Old 11-30-2012 | 09:15 AM
CH80
Novice

I got a new 2013 Heritage a few weeks ago. One of my requirements was ABS. I don't think I want to own another bike without it. I found out that there aren't very many softails at the dealers with the ABS. Fortunately for me, the local dealer was willing to do a dealer swap to get me the color I wanted with the ABS.

The security is a convenience but not a must have for me. I do like not having to lock/unlock the bike. Though when I stop I do lock it if I will be a while.

Old 11-30-2012 | 10:22 AM
agsansoo
Advanced

Get the ABS and security package. I wanted ABS on my 2012 Deluxe when I went into the dealer ready to buy. The dealer gave me a free ABS DVD to watch about a month earlier. I'm glad I did, I've had to brake hard a few times too many in traffic here in SoCal. Bike just stops fast.

Did the same thing CH80:
The dealer didn't have any Deluxes with ABS when I went to buy. They told me it would take about two months to get a bike with ABS in the color I wanted. I told him "oh really, you don't have any Deluxes with ABS ?". He said " just that one". I told him "better swap the tank and fenders with the black bike asap or I will be going to another dealer". Drove off with my new black deluxe w/ABS that day.

Old 11-30-2012 | 11:14 AM
Ramboamt
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by rnl_1200C
ok - I'm convinced - ABS/Security it is.

I checked with my insurance agent and they showed that the ABS/Security can pay for itself with the 'security system ' insurance deduction over the years.

Now I have to figure out how to pay for the shotgun shocks I want to install.

Thanks everyone for all your help
Not sure if you know that JD at Shotgun Shock has a forum special going on for the shocks. $1250.00 shipped.

Old 11-30-2012 | 11:39 AM
casbar
Cruiser

ABS doesn't make a bike stop faster! In fact you can actually stop in a shorter distance without ABS if your a skilled rider. ABS does stop skidding and locking of wheels in a panic stop. ABS is still a very good safety feature and if there was an option would always have it. But I wouldn't swap a bike out just to upgrade to ABS

Old 11-30-2012 | 01:39 PM
Smileman
Tourer

Originally Posted by rnl_1200C
ok - I'm convinced - ABS/Security it is.

I checked with my insurance agent and they showed that the ABS/Security can pay for itself with the 'security system ' insurance deduction over the years.

Now I have to figure out how to pay for the shotgun shocks I want to install.

Thanks everyone for all your help

You are welcome! ABS really is a no brainer.

Skidding bike = BAD
Not skidding bike = GOOD

Please post some pics when you pick up your new baby.

Old 11-30-2012 | 02:10 PM
agsansoo
Advanced

Originally Posted by casbar
ABS doesn't make a bike stop faster! In fact you can actually stop in a shorter distance without ABS if your a skilled rider. ABS does stop skidding and locking of wheels in a panic stop. ABS is still a very good safety feature and if there was an option would always have it. But I wouldn't swap a bike out just to upgrade to ABS
Agreed ! HD should make this a standard feature, not an option.

Old 11-30-2012 | 08:08 PM
rnl_1200C
|
Road Master

Originally Posted by Ramboamt
Not sure if you know that JD at Shotgun Shock has a forum special going on for the shocks. $1250.00 shipped.
thanks. I was arare on anothr thread about this. I'm still couple of months away fron the bike purchase, so I will have to wait to get the shocks

Old 11-30-2012 | 08:10 PM
rnl_1200C
|
Road Master

Originally Posted by Smileman
You are welcome! ABS really is a no brainer.

Skidding bike = BAD
Not skidding bike = GOOD

Please post some pics when you pick up your new baby.
sure will. I am keeping the sporty as well. I can't wait to see two rides in the garage !

Old 12-01-2012 | 12:09 PM
Deuuuce
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by casbar
IF you don't activate it, the stopping distance should be about the same.

However it's priceless on any compromised traction surface vs. dry.

Quick Reply: ABS and Security ?