Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ABS and Security ?

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2012 | 07:12 AM
Captain Itch
Sponsor

I am going to go against the grain here..To me all of this extra stuff is what causes the bike to break down and leave you stranded,and the ABS is a pain to work on from what I understand for the average Joe..
A lock or chain may not be real cool but it has worked for years.

Old 11-28-2012 | 07:21 AM
RebelBugler
Cruiser

The ABS is worth every penny as a safety feature and minimizes or eliminates rear wheel lockup in a panic stop situation. The security system is an added bonus and part of the package.

As a practical matter, having ABS is a benefit when selling or trading the bike as most potential buyers seem to want it.

Old 11-28-2012 | 07:27 AM
Meanface
Cruiser
Default Abs!

ABS is worth every penny. Going from a Heritage (no ABS) to a Road King with ABS, I don't know how the hell I made it without them!

Old 11-28-2012 | 08:59 AM
Ramboamt
Road Warrior
Default +1 ABS and Security systems.

Get the ABS and security package.

On my Sporty one day I almost laid it down because of the rear wheel locking up and on the rice burner I use to have the rear wheel lock up put me in a coma for three days and several surgeries to repair the damage to my body. So what I'm trying to say is GET the ABS security package.

The security system comes installed and it has the automatic arming key FOB, no button to push to arm the system, but it does not have a siren, it only blinks the lights and locks out the ignition system. HD has a siren for around $60.00 or you can install the Radio Shack siren for around $6.00
Here is the thread on installing the Radio Shack piezo siren, about $5.00 bucks for the siren, the other buck is for the installation hardware: https://www.hdforums.com/forum/softa...-how-to-2.html
I posted some pictures on how to install it on a Heritage, ours is a 2012 model.

Old 11-28-2012 | 10:52 AM
Krieg
Cruiser

It sure would be nice to be able to have a choice to get ABS without the security. I had security on two previous metrics and both gave problems.

Old 11-28-2012 | 11:20 AM
rnl_1200C
|
Road Master

ok - I'm convinced - ABS/Security it is.

I checked with my insurance agent and they showed that the ABS/Security can pay for itself with the 'security system ' insurance deduction over the years.

Now I have to figure out how to pay for the shotgun shocks I want to install.

Thanks everyone for all your help

Old 11-29-2012 | 01:10 PM
lightweight bob
Road Master
Default Radio Shack

Originally Posted by Ramboamt
Get the ABS and security package.

On my Sporty one day I almost laid it down because of the rear wheel locking up and on the rice burner I use to have the rear wheel lock up put me in a coma for three days and several surgeries to repair the damage to my body. So what I'm trying to say is GET the ABS security package.

The security system comes installed and it has the automatic arming key FOB, no button to push to arm the system, but it does not have a siren, it only blinks the lights and locks out the ignition system. HD has a siren for around $60.00 or you can install the Radio Shack siren for around $6.00
Here is the thread on installing the Radio Shack piezo siren, about $5.00 bucks for the siren, the other buck is for the installation hardware: https://www.hdforums.com/forum/softa...-how-to-2.html
I posted some pictures on how to install it on a Heritage, ours is a 2012 model.
The HD siren was $90 last time I looked so I went with two Radio Shack sirens. They're
very small, pull less current than HD's, and are louder used together for $12 the pair.

Old 11-29-2012 | 01:34 PM
2black1s
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by Meanface
ABS is worth every penny. Going from a Heritage (no ABS) to a Road King with ABS, I don't know how the hell I made it without them!
Are you sure you wouldn't like to re-word that? The way you've stated this it sounds like you rely too much on your ABS and not enough on your own skill.

Old 11-30-2012 | 04:54 AM
tkbalt
Advanced

Just bought the wife a Deluxe - bike did not have ABS - debated holding out for it. Certainly a safety advantage. In the end we went ahead with the purchase. We'll add Security - and maybe ABS next time.

Old 11-30-2012 | 05:27 AM
Ron750
Seasoned HDF Member

ABS is the only reason I would buy a new bike. I have gotten pretty good at panic stops on my '03 Ultra. But my first few, were scary, skid the rear, sideways. Most of them were practice/ yellow light, but some of them were avoidance of idiot cagers.

Quick Reply: ABS and Security ?