Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ABS and Security ?

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2012 | 07:54 PM
Bone Doc
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by SLV
Just FYI. From the factory, the security system and ABS are packaged together for I think $1200. However, if you decide you only want the security system, you can buy it as a dealer install for about $500 installed. I'm not sure if you can buy ABS as a dealer install item but it's worth asking if the budget is your concern.
The security system can be installed by the dealer for around the $500 mentioned. The ABS system is a factory installed option only. Now, could the Harley ABS system be added by a dealer? Probably, but it would cost far more than the $1200 security option. Think about what would be needed....the ABS module, new ECU + other electronics, new brake calipers to start.

So, for all intents and purposes, you buy the bike with ABS or you don't have it.

Old 11-27-2012 | 09:23 PM
NDBadlands4-2
Extreme HDF Member

If you want to go on longer trips, the touring bike will be your best fit. As far as security and ABS spend the money. Absolutely worth it.

Old 11-27-2012 | 10:12 PM
_Gir_
Road Warrior

Experiences like these reaffirm my position that ABS is critical:
Last Friday, I don't know what kept me out of a high side event when an EMS vehicle pulled out at the next intersection and had to brake hard. Rear wheel locked up and began to fish tail. As mentioned, have no idea what got me out of that in great shape.
https://www.hdforums.com/forum/gener...-lot-more.html

Old 11-27-2012 | 11:22 PM
Vic Bronco
Road Captain

Originally Posted by rnl_1200C
lets break it down to just the security system. Sorry for my ignorance, but wHat is it good for ?
I have a security on my sporty, and never use it.
The fob is basically a proximity sensor that locks out the ignition if you aren't within a certain radius of the bike when someone tries to start it. The factory system doesn't have a siren, but you can add one on to the system as an option through your dealer. If you don't have the siren installed and someone tries to move your bike they won't be able to start it without the lockout code, but the blinkers will flash constantly until either the bike isn't being moved anymore or the fob comes into range again. In terms of anti theft, it's not going to stop anyone who knows what they're doing and really wants to steal your bike, on the other hand, if you have it and are stopping off at the corner store to buy smokes or something on your way home, you don't have to worry about locking your ignition switch when you get off the bike, since the fob will be on you and the ignition will lock until you are back in range - about 8-10 feet on bikes I've had with it.

Old 11-27-2012 | 11:51 PM
2black1s
Elite HDF Member

Here's my take...

The security is a nice convenience. I like it! With the new proximity FOBs, you just keep it in your pocket and forget about it. The only time I ever lock my bike is when I'm away at an event or the likes. For everyday use I simply walk away and let the security system do its thing.

The ABS isn't so clear cut. Seems most love it, but I'm not so convinced and am not one of them. Personally I could take or leave it. That said, if I was buying a new bike I would get it simply for resale purposes. If you ever want to sell the bike, the ABS will definitely expand your market of potential buyers.

Old 11-27-2012 | 11:57 PM
Deuuuce
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by lightweight bob
I don't know where you live and ride to but ................. $15 and fifteen minutes
will get you two small Radio Shack sirens / loud that wire right in. Set the system
to the most sensitive mode and it'll trip as they're stealing the bags off your
scoot. imho.
Defeated in 15 seconds and no starter/ECU lock-out? No thanks.

Originally Posted by Vic Bronco
In terms of anti theft, it's not going to stop anyone who knows what they're doing and really wants to steal your bike,.
I'd be really curious how many thefts are done by re-enabling the ECU without the code. VERY few I bet, and wires to a hack device or a laptop is going to look pretty suspicious after while...

Most of the time it's loaded in a truck. The security is good to have though.

Old 11-28-2012 | 12:06 AM
Vic Bronco
Road Captain

Originally Posted by Deuuuce
Defeated in 15 seconds and no starter/ECU lock-out? No thanks.

I'd be really curious how many thefts are done by re-enabling the ECU without the code. VERY few I bet, and wires to a hack device or a laptop is going to look pretty suspicious after while...

Most of the time it's loaded in a truck. The security is good to have though.
You'd be surprised how many dealers load the same code on every bike heading out the door and how many owners are too lazy or pre-occupied to try to figure out how to change it, if they even think of it at all. Really all you'd need to know is what the most local dealers to the area had used as the lockout codes and try a few of them if you really wanted to drive it away, but I agree, most people would just put it in a truck and drive away. Even with the security system, if I was leaving the bike for more than 10-15 minutes or so I'd always lock the fork, and usually the ignition Even if they end up figuring out the passcode they'd have a fun time driving the bike in tight circles because they couldn't straighten out the front wheel.

Best security is to park the bike where no one can see it's there in the first place, and barring that, the low tech ones work best - big *** chain locked to something that won't move, big angry dog, whatever. If my insurance didn't make it mandatory as a condition of coverage I probably wouldn't even bother considering any sort of electronic security systems on my bike.

Old 11-28-2012 | 12:14 AM
Deuuuce
Elite HDF Member

Last year at the MC show a guy didn't change his factory code, bike was gone.

Old 11-28-2012 | 04:03 AM
Bone Doc
Seasoned HDF Member

There will always be discussion regarding how "secure" a security system is for motorcycles. Nowadays, most vehicle alarms/security systems (even for automobiles) are simply deterrents vs. theft prevention. What do you do when you hear a car alarm going off? Do you look around to see if someone is trying to steal a car?

My '88 Heritage was stolen and the feeling really sucks. Not to mention I felt like I got screwed by the insurance company. By the way, that company is still around today...I won't mention names. Long story. Back then, there were no good security systems for motorcycles other than the .357 on my waist. Even today, if someone wants to steal your bike, say goodbye to it, security system or not.

For me, no matter how secure a security system is, I will install any deterrent I can. I have the HD security system. I will also have a LoJack installed on the bike. The LoJack is about $1000 installed. Not all HD dealers even know about it or install it. The LoJack website has a dealer locator. It is NOT just a glorified GPS device. It can function where GPS can't. They state that if the bike is stolen and can't be located within 24 hours, you get your money back for the LoJack.

For those unfamiliar with it:
http://www.lojack.com/Motorcycles/Lo...for-Motorcycle

Bear with me while I digress: Ask your insurance company how much savings you get on your premium for having a LoJack. Mine, $2 + change. My $1000 install could potentially save them $30,000 so they thank me by saving me $2. I'm appreciative....bastards!

Boog

Old 11-28-2012 | 05:15 AM
ejvette
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by Fierofly
Security system also means you don't have to use a key as long as the key fob is on you. I've got both and won't buy another with out them.
+1 on that. I love the convenience of just walking away and not having to lock the bike. As far as ABS goes its worth every penny.

Quick Reply: ABS and Security ?