Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Break in question

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2005 | 03:11 AM
Stevenml155
|
Tourer
Default Break in question

Quick ? for who might know.

I was cruising the highway today and at one point I was passing and hit about 85 for a minute or so. I had about 120 miles on the bike at the time, is this something I should be concerned about since I'm in the break in period? I kept it at 70 or below all other times during the ride. Any info would be appreciated. Thanks!

Old 08-11-2005 | 03:30 AM
randyr
Advanced
Default RE: Break in question

Time to read the manual ... the first 500 miles are important! the worst thing is lugging the motor during this time or hard acceleration up to the rev limiter. Better take it easy and under 60mph or you could shorten the life of the motor as all the parts need some TLC to break in. Good Luck!

Old 08-11-2005 | 03:46 AM
Stevenml155
|
Tourer

Yeah, I figure I better get in the manual -- the dealer said to keep it under 70 for the first 50 miles, then no more than 80 up to the first 500 miles. I had no problems with my Dyna, but I don't remember the break in that well as it was a while back. I did keep the speed varied on my ride today, used lots of different gears and kept the revs in the middle, no lugging! I just didn't realize that I hit 85 on the passing of that car -- I bumped it down to 70 once I was past them. Thanks for the heads up though!

Old 08-11-2005 | 05:45 AM
SPRINGER
Seasoned HDF Member

Considering the amount of money that I spent on my Springer, I followed the manual as closely as possible. I wanted to do whatever I could to protect my investment and make it last as long as possible.

Old 08-11-2005 | 08:26 AM
pococj
Seasoned HDF Member

You probably did your engine some good cranking it up like that. Too much babying, and I don't mean lugging the engine, lets a lotta combustion products past the unseated rings early in the motor's life. As long as you let the engine warm properly, some good hard acceleration will help the rings seat earlier and better.

There's a thread on here somewhere with a reference to a site about engine break-in. The guy lays his case out well, has photos to back up what he says, and blows holes in the 'nice & easy' break-in procedures we've always been taught.

Old 08-11-2005 | 09:57 AM
HDF Tech
Banned

Here's an interesting view on breakin http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm

Old 08-11-2005 | 10:02 AM
Tn.Heritage
Grand HDF Member

Do like Skip said, ride it like you stole it, I did.

Old 08-11-2005 | 10:45 AM
Babs
Outstanding HDF Member

ORIGINAL: pococj

You probably did your engine some good cranking it up like that. Too much babying, and I don't mean lugging the engine, lets a lotta combustion products past the unseated rings early in the motor's life. As long as you let the engine warm properly, some good hard acceleration will help the rings seat earlier and better.

There's a thread on here somewhere with a reference to a site about engine break-in. The guy lays his case out well, has photos to back up what he says, and blows holes in the 'nice & easy' break-in procedures we've always been taught.
Stevenml155, I have to agree with this statement. Also the key thing is that you're using different speeds. Key is not to just wind it up in the lower gears also but just ride it normally within some restraint.. Bumping it up to 85 to pass someone did probably help to seat those rings. I wouldn't make a habit of it, but Worry Not Young Jedi, the Force is with your Scoot.

When I bought my 04 fatboy I was also very very concerned about breaking it in right. So the first Sunday I had it, the owner of the dealership invited me out for a ride.. They ripped it up the mountain over into Tennessee which was some good variable speed riding. Then on the way back at about 180 miles on my bike, he said "You're broken in.. Now time to ride".. They took off.. It was 75 to 85mph all the way back to keep up with them on the highway route. Didn't hurt a thing.. This guy by the way builds one of the best drag bike engines there is. But it follows the same principles when I was a kid, and Dad built an engine.. The first thing they would do is take the car out, run the crap out of it to seat the rings. It was "imperative" that they did it that way. I just accepted it.

The manual is going to be conservative. Use good judgement but.. rest assured, one little bump up to 85mph isn't going to destroy your motor. Only you have a speedo, not the engine.. It just knows it's running. You've probably hit the same rpm in lower gears and not even realized it.

Congrats on the new bike.

Old 08-11-2005 | 11:07 AM
Babs
Outstanding HDF Member

That's a fascinating article! Makes me wish I had read it when I bought my bike.

Old 08-11-2005 | 11:24 AM
Stevenml155
|
Tourer

Thanks to all who replied!! I did ck out the links on break in and did a lot of searching the net and found out that most if not all the big engine guys say to vary the speed and give it some good hard throttle cranks then back down in the first 50 miles to seat the rings. I used to do this on my MX bike when I was racing to make sure the rings were tight in the cylinder, so it made sense to me. The story about the guy who rode with the dealer makes sense and it is what I hear when my sales guy isn't in "harley' mode.

Quick Reply: Break in question