Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Break in question

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2005 | 12:45 PM
HDF Tech
Banned
Default RE: Break in question

Most of the ring seating is done in the first 50 miles or so, after that there really isn't much more that will improve the seal. It's critical however to load the rings in the beginning and not baby it, both accel and decel for best results and a good running engine

Old 08-11-2005 | 02:31 PM
ray
Novice

I was thinking about something.Of all the new harleys in a dealers showroom almost all of them had 10 to 20 miles on them.
Now I ask myself,is the assembly line 10 miles?which I doubt it is that long,or do they have to take them for a test ride at the
factory after they are built?If this is holds true,you can probably bet that the fellow who is test riding them for 7 or 8 miles isnt
babying them.Now if my theory holds true,that would mean that the valves are probably already seated.I dont know im just
wondering about those 10 miles it kinda makes sense.RAy

Old 08-11-2005 | 05:23 PM
Stevenml155
|
Tourer

I stopped by the dealership this morning and the service guy told me they ride them for 3 to 5 miles and then ck all the torque of the bolts etc so that when you take delivery of the bike it's good to go. I asked about opening them up and he said that they do "get on them pretty hard" to make simulate real riding situations. He said to hang out for a few minutes since they were taking one out -- I rode with them and they rode it like you would ride on any other ride -- traffice, highway and yep...over 70 on the highway for about 20 seconds or so. He said to break the engine in you need to give it some hard throttle some cruising and some stop and go. Made sense to me.

Old 08-12-2005 | 10:56 PM
Dave Deluxe
Advanced

Not really the same subject, but I had a friend once who owned an old '66 Barracuda with a three speed on the column. He went to a dealership to trade the car in on a new truck. That night he took the 'Cuda out and drove the living crap out of it...smoking the tires, revving it out....he just thrashed it. He felt pretty stupid the next day when he found out that the bank would not approve his loan for the truck!!

Old 08-13-2005 | 02:48 PM
HDF Tech
Banned

I'll bet he felt stupid after that, chances are he could have blown a motor or rear and ended up in the hole to boot

Old 08-13-2005 | 09:41 PM
AJSpringer
4th Gear

I also have to agree with the statement concerning NOT babying your scoot during the so called break-in period. Having broken in two new scoots since the spring of '03, and doing so following simular suggestions as the statements made by "pococj," I agree that if you allow the engine to warm up properly and ride it like you want to, or like you plan on riding (be it fast or slow) this is the way it will perform for you after. In other words, if you break an engine in riding 55-70 mph, baby it, and never really get on it, it will respond as such after break-in. However, if you do crank on it during the initial 500-1000 mile period, or ride it like you stole it, it will be more responsive. I had a knowledgeable old timer biker/mechanic tell me "Break it in slow=slow bike, break it in fast=fasat bike. once a putt putt, always a putt putt." As long as it's kept stock that is.

Old 08-15-2005 | 07:01 PM
Stevenml155
|
Tourer

Hey all --

I've got over 750 miles on it now and the bike is running super! The oil level checks out the same so no oil burning going on -- gas mileage is improving and man does she love to run!! Hop on and go, I love this bike!

Thanks for all the feedback, I strongly feel agree that if you break it in to gently you'll do more damage long term -- thanks again all!