Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Softail Deluxe for the long haul...

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2012 | 05:56 AM
ryanek9freak
Road Captain

+1 on the batwing. I bought a Memphis shades one, best $300 I ever spent for long trips. Looks ridiculous on a Deluxe, but it works really good to keep the wind off your hands.

Old 11-25-2012 | 05:57 AM
ryanek9freak
Road Captain

Originally Posted by SanJuanRon
Major props for doing the ride on a Deluxe and in November. The winds (and wind chill) can be nasty that time of year. I drive from SoCal to SW Colorado (and visa versatile) regularly and have never taken the Deluxe - it's always been on an Ultra. You have me all fired up to take the Deluxe this Spring. SJ Ron
I see you're from Lake City, man I love that place. I always go up and stay at Tbears campground for a few days in the summer, and the bike ride there is the ****.

Old 11-25-2012 | 06:23 AM
Benway
Elite HDF Member

Thanks for the travel-log. Always appreciated.

I which we had more from those who take longer trips instead of just bragging that they've put 100k on their bike this year. I've been contracting this last year and can't take off work cuz I don't get paid, so maybe next year.

Old 11-25-2012 | 09:27 AM
shineybike
Road Captain

Great write-up. I just put a quadzilla fairing and fangs on my heritage. Definitely helps and the tunes are an added bonus I never thought I'd want, but I have to say they're nice. I have stock heritage bars on mine and the fairing does block the wind on my hands. With your apes I'm not so sure. Fangs work pretty well. I had them on with just the stock windshield and didn't like the look but with the fairing I think they look okay. My ride is put away for the winter so I'm pretty much jealous of anyone still riding.

Old 11-25-2012 | 09:38 AM
SanJuanRon
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by ryanek9freak
I see you're from Lake City, man I love that place. I always go up and stay at Tbears campground for a few days in the summer, and the bike ride there is the ****.
Yeah, great MC riding in the area (do you come in from 149 over Slumgullion & Spring Creek?), and 4 wheeling (Alpine Loop area), and awesome hiking (13ers and 14ers). I just left in early November and will go back in April. SJ Ron

Old 11-25-2012 | 09:41 AM
Hogpro
Former Sponsor

I have been riding a fatboy for the long haul and commuting for many years. It rides great. Sure, I have modified everything on the bike including front and rear suspension, wheels, engine and the list goes on and on and on but it rides very nice on long trips. I recently got and FXDXT and it is now my new touring rig. Lighter, more nimble and handles far better but the softail still gets ridden every week.

Comparing to a bagger, a softail is a different animal as is a Dyna. If you want all the creature comforts a bagger might be better but I don;t want such a huge bike especially with all the lane splitting I do going to and from work on a daily basis. I am sure one day I will get a bagger but I am in no rush as I prefer my two stealth sleds that I roll now.

I have ridden my softail to Vegas, Laughlin, Hoover dam, Arizona, etc etc and it alwyas does me right, plus it looks wicked sick. Style is key for me. One day when I can keep all my other 3 bikes and get a bagger I will, but until then I do things as I do now.

Enjoy that Deluxe.

Old 11-25-2012 | 11:37 AM
NDBadlands4-2
Extreme HDF Member

Sounds like a great ride. I bought the Ultra for the long haul rides, but it looks like you had a great time.

Old 11-25-2012 | 12:09 PM
KumaRide
Elite HDF Member

Someone emailed me and asked what fangs are. Here ya go:

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/softa...they-work.html

Old 11-25-2012 | 08:42 PM
ryanek9freak
Road Captain

Originally Posted by SanJuanRon
Yeah, great MC riding in the area (do you come in from 149 over Slumgullion & Spring Creek?), and 4 wheeling (Alpine Loop area), and awesome hiking (13ers and 14ers). I just left in early November and will go back in April. SJ Ron

Yes sir, I love 149, some of the best scenerey in Colorado.

Old 11-26-2012 | 12:00 AM
micahpop
Road Warrior

Somebody really likes In-n-Out!

Sounds like a pretty cool trip, thanks for sharing. I've ridden in Utah when it was about 40 but could not imagine riding when it's any colder than that - with or without a windshield/fairing.

Quick Reply: Softail Deluxe for the long haul...