Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Non-HD Anti-theft/Alarm?

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2012, 12:27 PM
Vic Bronco
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Non-HD Anti-theft/Alarm?

So my new bike that I'm picking up next week and importing from the US to Canada does not have the Factory security system. While I'm fully aware that security systems aren't really that much of an overall deterrent, my insurance makes them a requirement for coverage, so I need to put something on it. Previously I had bought all my bikes in Canada, and the importer for Canada only brings in bikes with the Factory HD security system, so it's never been an issue. Looking at the price to get the Factory security system, I figure I'm better off going with some sort of higher end aftermarket system with a two-way fob and a audible siren for roughly the same amount of $.

Just thought I'd see what other guys are using, I typically park my bike in the garage, so I'm not actually worried about it getting stolen the majority of the time, but if I'm going to spend the money I might as well get something halfway decent.

Old 11-22-2012, 12:32 PM
stevic
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Gorilla alarms. The siren makes quite a attention getting noise. About $100 U.S.

Old 11-22-2012, 12:33 PM
vizcarmb
Stellar HDF Member
Received 553 Likes on 381 Posts

You can buy the security system as a different option, but you will just have to bring it in to the dealer and install it.

Most new bikes have the security system installed, they just need to be unlocked by the dealer.

Old 11-22-2012, 05:32 PM
Guitardude
Club Member
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

The factory security system is build in to the turn signal module . If your bike doesn't have it, get the dealer to swap it out. And ad the HD siren while you're at it. There are cheaper ways to do it, but I've seen more problems arise from non factory systems than the factory units. Had a buddy who installed a radio shack siren on his at the same time I did the HD siren. 3 months later I we aug hint at him over aging 900 for a new ECM that HD wouldn't warranty after his cheap siren shorted it out.

Old 11-22-2012, 05:56 PM
Motown Strag
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Gorilla 8017 $160 2-way pager and two wires right to the batt...hard to go wrong.

Thinking of one myself but i almost never park where i cant keep an eye on it

Old 11-22-2012, 05:58 PM
threadstopper
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Vic Bronco
So my new bike that I'm picking up next week and importing from the US to Canada does not have the Factory security system. While I'm fully aware that security systems aren't really that much of an overall deterrent, my insurance makes them a requirement for coverage, so I need to put something on it. Previously I had bought all my bikes in Canada, and the importer for Canada only brings in bikes with the Factory HD security system, so it's never been an issue. Looking at the price to get the Factory security system, I figure I'm better off going with some sort of higher end aftermarket system with a two-way fob and a audible siren for roughly the same amount of $.

Just thought I'd see what other guys are using, I typically park my bike in the garage, so I'm not actually worried about it getting stolen the majority of the time, but if I'm going to spend the money I might as well get something halfway decent.
google scorpio alarms ---- B.T.W How are the wounds Healing?

Last edited by threadstopper; 11-22-2012 at 06:01 PM. Reason: ask a question
Old 11-22-2012, 07:39 PM
Vic Bronco
Road Captain

Originally Posted by threadstopper
google scorpio alarms ---- B.T.W How are the wounds Healing?
Thanks for asking, the cuts on my face are healing a lot better than even the doctors were expecting. When the stitches came out they were really not too optimistic I'd be able to avoid plastic surgery to clean it up a bit. It was a pretty big wedge shape on my upper lip, but now it's not all that bad at all. The ones in my mouth are taking a bit longer, but they also are slowly healing, and aren't sore or anything. The rib is still sore, but it's not terribly limiting for regular day to day stuff, I tried to get a workout on the treadmill in last week, ran a half decent 3 miles without feeling too bad... until about an hour afterwards when I was woozy and sore, felt it pretty bad for the next couple days. My wife's told me she'll slap me in the face if I try it again over the next couple weeks.

All told, I'm not coming out of it all that bad, a couple minor scars, higher insurance premiums, and a replacement bike that's a couple years older (but with some money left from the settlement to dump into a shotgun shock and a few other goodies). I'm not dead or in a chair, so at this point I'm still ahead.

Where in Canada are you?

Old 11-22-2012, 09:59 PM
threadstopper
Cruiser
Default relax man

sounds like you need to relax and take your wife's threat seriously. obviously you have undergone serious trauma. last weeks lapse in judgement was just a subtle reminder. take it easy, count your blessings again.

I live down the Highway of Heroes near Grafton

did you check out the Scorpio Alarms site lots of different options available

regards

Old 11-22-2012, 11:53 PM
Vic Bronco
Road Captain

Originally Posted by threadstopper
sounds like you need to relax and take your wife's threat seriously. obviously you have undergone serious trauma. last weeks lapse in judgement was just a subtle reminder. take it easy, count your blessings again.

I live down the Highway of Heroes near Grafton

did you check out the Scorpio Alarms site lots of different options available

regards
Grafton/Port Hope/Cobourg's a nice area... just far enough from Oshawa that you probably don't need to go there all too often. Had a look at the Scorpio's they look not too bad, a little pricey compared to some of the other ones I've seen so far with similar features, but I've got time to look around and make a decision.

Thanks again for the kind words, will definitely be counting the blessings and being a lot more careful going forward.

Old 11-23-2012, 07:20 PM
threadstopper
Cruiser
Default ShotgunShock

yeah it is nice out here. i lived in "the shwa" for 13 yrs still have a few friends there but i don't miss it.

if you decide on the scorpio look on ebay if you have time you can get the INCLUDES OEM BIKE SPECIFIC CONNECTOR, REMOTE IGNITION DISABLE, PERIMETER SENSOR AND BUILT IN BATTERY BACK UP from
Biohazardcycles 339.00

BTW I just ordered a ShotgunShock from J.D. 1250.00 including international shipping. you mentioned in an earlier post you would be needing one for your new scoot. now might be the time to order one, can't beat that price. give him a call he's very easy to deal with. i'm not sure how long the sale is valid for just mention that you're a hdforum member

stay off the damn treadmill

regards