Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How many switch to winter mode?

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2012 | 05:27 PM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member

I rode all last winter because I was still working and it was an excuse to ride. Many a night I would get home and take 15 minutes to warm up. Now that I am retired I think this winter I will just strap the laptop the the handlebars and do the hdforms out in the garage. Sure i will get a few trip out of it. Today was not bad around here

Old 11-22-2012 | 05:30 PM
shorelasHD
Ultimate HDF Member

My former FXDF was transported to the salt-water-immersed motorcycle leper camp, along with over 300 others.....No winter mode for me, until I order and receive my new bike. BTW, winter mode means over freezing, no hint of moisture and/or salt on the road (not a wuss, but who needs to deal with rust?).

Old 11-22-2012 | 05:42 PM
dakotared
Road Captain

don't do SALT, wet or dry...

Old 11-22-2012 | 09:03 PM
Benway
Elite HDF Member

Much below 40° and the windshield goes on, but that's all. Sweet Boss bags I got stay on all the time because there's nothing special about the *** end of a Heritage anyway with that skinny-*** tire, so I'm not covering up anything important.

I've found with the retro snap-on Bell shield, I'm good down to the upper 30s without the windshield, so I don't have to ruin the look of the bike to ride in the cold.

Old 11-22-2012 | 10:07 PM
marcuswelby
Intermediate

Have to say I envy year round riding. We are 2 hrs north of Toronto, CAN and my wife and I definitely had our last ride today. Typically put the bike away Nov 1st with snow right on our heels but caught a really mild spell this week. Back to freezing and below freezing temps in the forecast, so that's it... sux.

Old 11-22-2012 | 11:26 PM
_Gir_
Road Warrior

Leather gloves and jacket. I have heated gloves if it gets into the low 40's. I like the idea of the windshield and have been keeping an eye out for a good deal.

Old 11-23-2012 | 12:13 AM
Vic Bronco
Road Captain

Originally Posted by marcuswelby
Have to say I envy year round riding. We are 2 hrs north of Toronto, CAN and my wife and I definitely had our last ride today. Typically put the bike away Nov 1st with snow right on our heels but caught a really mild spell this week. Back to freezing and below freezing temps in the forecast, so that's it... sux.
Are we talking Parry Sound-ish area? Drove through there a couple weeks ago, and it was still beautiful riding weather... when it wasn't pouring rain.

I'm near Niagara Falls, and am hoping the weather holds out long enough that I won't have to rent a trailer to get my new bike home next week.

Old 11-23-2012 | 12:22 AM
skiddd
Supporter

New York here, I just dress for the weather. I was interested in heated gear, any recomends? So far this year have not been cold one time but its early. I just got back into a bike(2000 heritage) after 20 years. Man what I've been missing. Be safe everyone.

Old 11-23-2012 | 06:30 AM
Benway
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by skiddd
New York here, I just dress for the weather. I was interested in heated gear, any recomends? So far this year have not been cold one time but its early. I just got back into a bike(2000 heritage) after 20 years. Man what I've been missing. Be safe everyone.
Gerbings heated gloves for sure and I'd also spring for the heated jacket liner. You will need the adjustable thermostat. Don't even dick with an on/off switch and for sure don't run them plugged straight in (my gloves got so hot they were burning my fingers and I had to unplug them half way to work. The temp thermostat is perfect.

Old 11-23-2012 | 06:56 AM
Uncle G.
Seasoned HDF Member

Upstate NY: today is the last day the temps are supposed to reach 50, and probably we won't see nice weather until March, so the bike is off the road. Too many deer roaming around, and it starts getting really cold even before sunset.

My windshield and bags are on the bike all year. I like the style and the practicality.

Quick Reply: How many switch to winter mode?