Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Chicago area anyone?

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2012, 11:53 PM
tbonetony06
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Chicago area anyone?

I started a new thread last week, "Custom seat's". I had plans on taking my seat to get it re-worked rather then buying a new seat, not liking it, buying another new seat, not liking it and so on until I found the one I liked and it fitting me. Well, I just found out the place I was going to take my seat too, the guy passed away and his wife shut the business down until she can find someone to run it or just sell the business out right. So, does anyone live in the area or know of another shop I can take my seat to to get it re-worked? I am really bummed, 1st because the guy passed away and 2nd because this guy was good, very good in fact. I don't know of anywhere else I can take it. Yes, I can look in the phone book or "Google" it but I would much prefer not taking a shot in the dark with just any body and would much rather prefer going someplace that comes recommended by other bikers with insight or experience established by those who have already gone there by fellow bikers in the area. I don't want to ship my seat somewhere. I want to take it somewhere where I can actually talk to the person who will be doing it and monitor the work so we can make changes as we go if needed. I would also like to go someplace capable and that has experience with working with gel packs as well. Thanks to anyone who can help in directing me in the right direction.

Old 11-09-2012, 06:55 AM
fatboy1729
Road Captain
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Hey Tony, I must say that I love reading your threads brother. I love the way you got your scoot looking. I sent you personal messages before for some advice here and there. As for your seat, sorry to hear about the shop owner who was going to do up your seat. I know you mentioned you want to be there for the modification. I wish I could lead you in the right direction but the only places that I can think of off hand is C & C seats and Mean City Cycles. I'm up here in New England and I wish there was a place I could go for my seat instead of sending it out. Well, sorry for the long thread brother. Keep your threads coming. I really enjoy reading them. Take care....Ray...

Old 11-09-2012, 07:19 AM
kzoo
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Call some upholstery shops. Reworking a cycle seat is not that big of a project.

Old 11-09-2012, 08:47 AM
tbonetony06
Outstanding HDF Member

I have already tried 2 of them but they both said they don't work with gel packs or at least they never have as of yet. I really don't want to be the "1st guy" that they try it out on either. I am in no hurry, I have all winter with the exception that I did want to get my seat done 1st so I could finish the bike out around my seat. Thanks Fatboy1729. The bike I now have is the bike I have always wanted even though I have had many over the years. It's just this time around I am finally much more stable and able to be able to do what I want. I raised my 2 kids alone so now it's my turn. I have told my friends or explained to other people I met here that this bike is my "Crack bike"!! I can't stop now that I have started and I am always looking for more to do to it. I will have to go cold turkey when spring and summer gets here so that I can ride and not have to fool with anything. It's always nice getting compliments about my bike but it means much more than when you get them from fellow bikers.

Old 11-09-2012, 01:41 PM
TorturedZen
Advanced

How far is Lake Villa from you?

http://www.alligatorbob.com/

Old 11-09-2012, 03:47 PM
tbonetony06
Outstanding HDF Member

Hey TorturedZen, how's it going? I don't know exactly how far Lake Villa is from me but it must be close enough that it's not a huge trip because I have heard the guys I work with talk about it for one reason or the other. I am not worried all the much about distance as I am with whoever is going to do it allows me to hang out for a bit to make sure I get what I want. This is my 1st experience with taking a seat in like this so I am not sure what to expect. I am not rich but it's not the cost that bothers me, it's getting what I want and getting it right the 1st time. I want to get my seat done 1st this winter so I can do the things I want and do to my bike and to do it all around my seat. Thanks for the heads up. Anyone has has taken a seat in to get re-worked can chime in too and give me some do's and some don'ts and let me in on things you learned, let me know what it costs, material's used and so on. I do know I want a gel insert where my tail bone sits, getting old I guess. I want a material that will hold up under it being used but also something that shows very well too. I know one guy on another thread the other day said he put 2k into his seat. I would never knock anyone for their choices but I am not going to spend 2k on a seat. Thanks in advance to all who have or will chime in.

Old 11-09-2012, 07:16 PM
bvkamp
Cruiser

Riggs Brothers in Downers Grove specializes in vintage car interiors and soft tops. I had them re-work a motorcycle seat for me about 6 years ago. They were as nice as can be and it turned out great. It didn't have gel packs, but that can't be too complicated can it? Just another option for you...

Old 11-09-2012, 08:10 PM
tbonetony06
Outstanding HDF Member

Hey bvcamp, what's up? Thank's for the tip Dude. As soon as I get a free minute here at work I will see if I can get anything on them from good Ol Google! I agree, a gel insert can't be to hard at all I would'nt think. If they do vintage work and have been around that long I would assume that something like that is not a problem for them at all.

Old 11-12-2012, 09:54 PM
MIANOLFI
6th Gear

Hey Tbonetony,
I'm in Chicago as well, My seat and pinion were made by C&C, they make an awesome seat, will do the gel pads etc. I do not know if they will do the re-work but I can tell you they make a high quality product without the ridiculous expense...I paid under $500 for both mine, custom stitch colors and all..I rode 1026 miles to Sturgis this year and my **** was fine!
There is a place on Belmont in Avondale called Belmont Interiors that I know does do motorcycle seats, a lot of the guys you see around Chicago with the vintage Honda café racers have used them and had good luck..
Another one to check out is Blacksmith Motoring, he's in Round Lake, he's a builder focuses mainly on metrics but will mod anything. he has the ability to do seats and I've seen some of his work, looks awesome.
Steve

Old 11-12-2012, 10:36 PM
rgjujitsu
Road Master

Alligator Bob.