Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Importing parts!

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2012 | 03:01 AM
thelawnmowerman
Road Warrior

A tad over dramatic, get a grip, he's only trying to save a few pounds on the overly high UK dutys

Old 11-09-2012 | 04:58 AM
casbar
Cruiser

Have you tried HD Jersey, they offer a good service, and you save on VAT. The parts manager is a HD Riders Club GB member

Old 11-09-2012 | 07:04 AM
luisan
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by thelawnmowerman
A tad over dramatic, get a grip, he's only trying to save a few pounds on the overly high UK dutys
Don't worry I got a very good grip,obviously your idea between honesty and dishonesty is a little blurred but I suppose that's acceptable nowadays!The reason for the overly high UK duties (20% VAT) is because Big Govt takes care of your needs (i.e. free health care ) and in order to do that they need a lot of money......

Last edited by luisan; 11-09-2012 at 07:13 AM.
Old 11-09-2012 | 08:17 AM
elizer
Road Captain

Originally Posted by luisan
That practice is illegal and your military friend can get in serious trouble with military authorities and local Customs.It's called contraband!If you cannot afford HD parts/bikes switch to something cheaper that's within your budget.I think the Moderators shouldn't allow this kind of posts that condone illegal practices,maybe somebody in the future might start something about importing drugs without getting caught.This is a nice Forum for HD enthusiasts let's try to keep it that way!
News flash. A lot of mods that are done to a bike is considered illegal. So should we not talk about that as well?

I agree with the previous messages. Get a friend in the airforce over there and have them order something and have it shipped APO.
It really isn't that big of a deal.

Old 11-09-2012 | 02:02 PM
steamybob
Tourer
Default Imports

It isn't just a tax/duty issue - Big Brother H-D hikes up the prices outside the U.S. This applies to everything: Bikes, bits, clothes. If you guys stateside Google a part number on a British dealer's site you'll see how we get it stuck right up us! A U.S. H-D dealership can't sell direct to us (Limeys!) without jeopardising their franchise. I truly love the hardware but despise the marketing. Rant over!

Old 11-09-2012 | 02:24 PM
thelawnmowerman
Road Warrior

Don't worry I got a very good grip,obviously your idea between honesty and dishonesty is a little blurred but I suppose that's acceptable nowadays!The reason for the overly high UK duties (20% VAT) is because Big Govt takes care of your needs (i.e. free health care ) and in order to do that they need a lot of money......
LMAO
I suppose you live your life squeaky clean, and fracture no laws whatsoever, another poster has already summed it up when telling of how much we get shafted over here, and I have no issues with bringing stuff in privately, and saving whatever I can for myself, i've got a roomful of people here all having a drink, 3 of them are still laughing at your comments, you havent got a clue.

Old 11-10-2012 | 12:59 AM
luisan
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by thelawnmowerman
LMAO
I suppose you live your life squeaky clean, and fracture no laws whatsoever, another poster has already summed it up when telling of how much we get shafted over here, and I have no issues with bringing stuff in privately, and saving whatever I can for myself, i've got a roomful of people here all having a drink, 3 of them are still laughing at your comments, you havent got a clue.
Hey Lawnmowerman,I've always tried to be a decent person but I'm human as well and I make mistakes.I do break laws especially speeding laws(but if I get caught I pay the ticket) ,I buy my parts in the US since I go home every couple of months,the last time I had 2 Dunlop tires and 2 rain suits which I declared to the Customs Inspector but he waved me through,some other time they make me pay duty and the same goes when I enter the US (returning citizens have a $600 or 800 duty free allowance) so there's no need to cheat.I've got a clue but I'm still glad that I managed to make you and your friends have a good laugh,enjoy your drinks!

Old 11-10-2012 | 03:27 AM
Scaredofrain
Stellar HDF Member

I think you have lost your "good grip" and slipped of the earth. You must have made a soft landing.

I pay about £3500 ($5250) in National insurance contributions (beside an extortionate amount of tax and other crap)

Free health in the UK is a myth! Only when you're on benefits do you not pay for it. When you are healthy and not work-shy you get screwed to pay for the fat and layzy other three quarters. The 20% VAT and other taxes only pay for a small part for our gouvernments f**k ups and wastful missions.

Old 11-10-2012 | 06:07 AM
Deadanimal
Tourer

HA! I knew I would start something with that comment but hey. I will take care of my brothers and sisters if I can, cuz I know they would take care of me. Britt, american, German, ect....

Old 11-10-2012 | 08:10 AM
skulltrainharley
Road Warrior

scaredofrain ..... Spot on! the problem with anyone who has not visited or resided in our Green and Pleasant is they all think we live at 17 Cherry Tree Lane and we speak like Bert ..... The Bitter pill is when the likes of Tony Blair , Gordon Brown , Leon Britten , etc etc all F##k off and leave us to clean up THEIR mess they become directors in the city with the Big Bang Boys and make fortunes with after dinner talks where at the moment many British people couldn't afford F####ing after dinner mints .....

Last edited by skulltrainharley; 11-10-2012 at 08:17 AM.

Quick Reply: Importing parts!