Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

progressive 442

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2012 | 06:39 AM
spydyr
Road Captain

Originally Posted by läskipoika
Rock and roll! Thanx Mr. Road Master PanHeadRich - that's just what I've been waiting to hear ... went to that BikerBill's (or whatever it was) site and all well and good but the first step in the instructions to adjusting your shocks was to first HAVE adjustable shocks and that threw me ... that, and just so I'm clear IS THE ENTIRE HOUSING SUPPOSED TO TURN? I guess it is since the backing plate is pressed in to it. Thanx.
Yes, the housing is supposed to turn, using the spanner wrench. Just make sure the shaft isn't turning. They have a habit of sticking if they haven't been wrenched in a while. And make sure you keep your shocks even... the same amount of turns on each.

Old 11-08-2012 | 07:51 AM
Benway
Elite HDF Member

Why exactly are you getting the 442s? What are you hoping to get out of them?

Old 11-08-2012 | 10:07 AM
Ramboamt
Road Warrior

+1 on the Shotgun Shocks. Put a set on our '12 Heritage and they ARE the BEST mod done to our bike. Went out for a ride the other day with the wife on back and hit some really BAD dips/holes in the road and she could not believe the ride. She was waiting for the HARD jolt that would hurt her back some more and it was NOT even there, just the smooth bump was all she felt.

YEP, Shotgun all the way.

Old 11-08-2012 | 02:27 PM
tbonetony06
Outstanding HDF Member

Agreed, take and save that money that you would put towards the 422's and save and build on that until you can afford and have the full amount for the Shotgun. You won't be sorry, all of us that have gone before you promise you that! It will be the best thing you will have ever done for you, your butt, your back and your bike.

Old 11-08-2012 | 03:45 PM
läskipoika
|
6th Gear

Was only asking about the 442's 'cause I'd decided that my stock shocks couldn't be adjusted for a stiffer ride (especially two up + bags) and jumped on the first fully adjustable ones that didn't sound like complete garbage. But that was the old me. Enlightened now, I have learned that I can go back, try it again and unless I screw it up completely (turn the left housing out three turns ... go for a beer - come back and turn the left housing out again another three turns thinking it was the right one I'd done already) get it done. If I don't get any results, if the shocks have just from age, gone soft rock (though I doubt it, only 36 thou ridden - they're still Mötörhead) I will definately look in to the Shotguns (turned out +1 - yes, yes, the knowledge! I am transcending!) Really am hoping that the old stock shocks will still be good for awhile longer though. Having just bought the bike last fall, the money I've managed to put aside since has been for the engine-blowing-up-style emergencies and wouldn't mind keeping that tucked away. But after next winter ... watch out. I just may have a bit more to add after the bike pic than Screaming Eagle air filter, Vance and Hines Longshots and black tape.

Last edited by läskipoika; 11-08-2012 at 03:56 PM.
Old 11-08-2012 | 03:55 PM
Hogpro
Former Sponsor

You can hold the shock body with something toi keep it from turning as well. I'm with everyone else, get a shotgun. Been rocking mine since '10 and I'm never going back.

Old 11-09-2012 | 01:27 PM
Ramboamt
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by läskipoika
Was only asking about the 442's 'cause I'd decided that my stock shocks couldn't be adjusted for a stiffer ride (especially two up + bags) and jumped on the first fully adjustable ones that didn't sound like complete garbage. But that was the old me. Enlightened now, I have learned that I can go back, try it again and unless I screw it up completely (turn the left housing out three turns ... go for a beer - come back and turn the left housing out again another three turns thinking it was the right one I'd done already) get it done. If I don't get any results, if the shocks have just from age, gone soft rock (though I doubt it, only 36 thou ridden - they're still Mötörhead) I will definately look in to the Shotguns (turned out +1 - yes, yes, the knowledge! I am transcending!) Really am hoping that the old stock shocks will still be good for awhile longer though. Having just bought the bike last fall, the money I've managed to put aside since has been for the engine-blowing-up-style emergencies and wouldn't mind keeping that tucked away. But after next winter ... watch out. I just may have a bit more to add after the bike pic than Screaming Eagle air filter, Vance and Hines Longshots and black tape.
Yes you need to start a "Shotgun Shock piggy bank" to save up for those shocks. You will not regret it.