Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New to Softtails ?

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2012 | 11:47 AM
golfmech
Tourer

I have to agree that the only regret you will have is you didn't get is sooner. After trading in my XL1200C this summer for my Heritage I was saying that to myself. Why didn't I do this sooner. I had the sporty for 8 years. Took me the ride home (65 miles) to get used to the Heritage. Mainly the boards. Heel shifter came off before I even left the dealer. Never could understand those. Have fun with your new ride.

Old 11-06-2012 | 05:23 PM
Uncle G.
Seasoned HDF Member

I still can't understand how you guys manage to get your pant legs caught on the heel shifter. I've been using it for 19 years and it's never happened to me.

Then again, I don't wear bell bottoms anymore. You do know that the rear shifter is adjustable for height, right? I set mine so it just clears the footboard when depressed by my heel. Easy to use that way.

Old 11-07-2012 | 09:14 AM
Lyttuch
Tourer

I'm another who traded a 1200C for a Heritage Classic. The floorboards and heel/toe shifter felt weird for about a day or two, then they became the most comfortable ride!

I like the heel shift...it doesn't mess up the toe of my boot anymore and I've never caught my pants on it. The only thing I did to the heel/toe was to lower them about 3/4 of an inch...made a big difference. Of course, mine was new, so your's may be lowered already if it's used.

The Sporty was definitely more nimble, but also more punishing on the backside. A 350 mile trip had me squirming at the end. I just did a 970 mile trip to DC and back; 15 hours up and 16 back...no problems with comfort.

Oh, also, the handlebars are a bit farther apart from the stock Sporty, but again, I was completely comfortable with it a couple days later. And you'll notice the 300 extra pounds the first time you back it up LOL.

Old 11-07-2012 | 09:32 AM
HDFatboy98
Tourer

Congrats on the new bike be safe

Old 11-07-2012 | 09:39 AM
Man In Black
Tourer

Originally Posted by illinimeats
I'm a little nervous, but my grandfather told me the day you're not nervous getting on a motorcycle is the day you should park it, because that's the day it will kill you! I just bought a 2011 Fat Boy Lo and it should be delivered this week. I have an 883C Sportster that I've been riding for 7 years. This Fat Boy is bigger, engine size and weight, although it feels lighter than the Sportster. The engine is a 96" monster, stage 1.

What can I expect from riding this bike? How long does it take to get used to the heel to toe shift with the floor boards? I'm most nervous about the big engine jump, is this going to have some forgiveness if I grab a handful of throttle? The dealers tell me not to worry, but they also want to sell bikes. Some may think I'm being too nervous, but I guess that's what makes HD riders better than others. By the way this is my dream bike, a fat boy riding a HD Fat Boy!

Illinimeats
Get over being nervous. Being nervous and intimidated by the bigger bike will get you hurt. Relax , you have enough previous experience so you will be fine with the bigger bike , just don't start feeling that you are bigger than the bike or it will bite you. Just relax and enjoy your new bike.

Old 11-07-2012 | 10:05 AM
guitar
Cruiser

I went from an 883C to a Heritage and I would say it took about two blocks to love it. Lower the heel shifter as low as you can get it and still downshift without floorboard interference, it makes it much more comfortable to use. I never shift up with the toe shifter. Enjoy it!!

Last edited by guitar; 11-07-2012 at 10:08 AM.
Old 11-07-2012 | 10:32 AM
Smileman
Tourer

Not to be nit-picky, but the Lo is about 180lbs heavier than the Sporty. I learned my lesson when I pulled head first with my new Fatboy into a parking spot that was on a slight downhill. I struggled to back out of that one with my dignity intact!

Anyway, the only time I even notice the additional weight is in situations like that or when I'm jockeying around in the garage.

Note to the OP---when you get the new bike post some pics and let us know how you are doing.

Last edited by Smileman; 11-07-2012 at 01:26 PM.
Old 11-07-2012 | 05:59 PM
baimo
Tourer

I went from a Suzuki 125 dirt bike at 17 years old to girls only for next 37 years and went to Harley class this summer and bought my first street bike. a 2012 softail slim.. It was a coin toss between the slim and the lo and I did like the heritage also. I can honestly say that after testing all of them, the softails were the smoothest and most comfortable of the bikes I tried (sportsters, dynas and softails). I am 5'7" and the slim seemed to have the lowest center of gravity and I felt I could control it easier. But now I drive my buddy's deuce and his heritage occasionally and all the softails seem to be easy to ride. The sportsters seemed like the most difficult to handle at slow speeds for me. Although they were lighter they sit higher than the others. I wish I could afford one of each. You are going to love the lo. And buy an engine guard. They are heavy bikes and I found my self making a tight turn out of parking space at 2mph. bottom line is these bike are 700+ pounds and it is difficult to stop the bike once it starts dropping. Engine guard saved me from spending a nickel. It protected the bike completely and stopped it from really dropping to the ground. Even the black guard did not show a scratch.

Last edited by baimo; 11-07-2012 at 06:29 PM.