Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New to Softtails ?

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2012 | 05:18 PM
uklauren
Florida Crew Moderator

I also traded a 1200cc Sporty, but for a 103 Heritage. Rode some local streets for a few minutes, then took it to work next morning. The only difference that I noticed immediately was getting used to 90 degree turns and U turnsfor a couple days as the center of gravity and handling was different. I also hated the heel toe shifter and got rid of that after a couple months as my jeans got caught a couple times.

I love the Heritage, it's like riding an armchair.

Old 11-05-2012 | 06:06 PM
dloreski
Cruiser

You shouldn't have any problems.
I raced dirt bikes as a kid up until about 16. I'm 40 now and hadn't ridden since.
I bought a new Lo 1,400 miles ago and LOVE it!
I was very concerned about the weight of the bike, but it has never been a problem.
I started out on back roads and went to the highway around 200 miles.
I couldn't believe how stable it is out on the Interstates.
Didn't think I would like the heel toe shifter, but it works great for me. Felt like second nature from day one. But it is a personal preference thing.
Just be cautious and have a blast!
- Dave

Old 11-06-2012 | 07:47 AM
illinimeats
|
Cruiser

Thanks for the comments. This is exactly what I thought, I just need to give it a little time to get used to everything. I am surprised by the comments of the Sportsters being a little quicker. I am looking forward to no choke and getting rid of the coughing cold engine. Now I'm really looking forward to the bike getting here. It's supposed to be warm this weekend in the Bluegrass, time to put some more miles on the bike.

Illinimeats

Old 11-06-2012 | 08:20 AM
Smileman
Tourer

Originally Posted by illinimeats
. I am surprised by the comments of the Sportsters being a little quicker.

Illinimeats
Remember, its all about the power to weight ratio. They're not called "cruisers" for nothing! The Lo is 730 lbs with a stock horsepower around 65 and torque around 98 ft/lbs. Like a big ole' Cadillac!

Old 11-06-2012 | 08:32 AM
BassCatcher
Grand HDF Member

I also traded in a 1200C for my Heritage and that bike was a whole lot quicker than the bigger Heritage. You will have no problems making the transition as it sounds like you have some good common sense. Take your time, it will all fall into place as you get used to it.

Old 11-06-2012 | 08:53 AM
Village Idiot™
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by Sgt_Jim
I went from a 1992 883 XLH Hugger to a 2010 FatBoy Lo.. IMO the Lo handles so much nicer than the sportster ever did. I got rid of the heel shifter after my jeans kept getting caught on it.. i never used it much anyways. Keep in mind yes it has a bigger engine, but it also weighs 300+lbs more than a Sportster.. so they kind of even out. I've always felt that my 883 was quicker than the fatboy has ever been.. then again I'm probably building up the engine this winter, so maybe i'll take those words back come Spring.
572lb vs 731lb. About 160lb is a far cry from 300+ more. You'd be looking at a nearly 900lb fatboy.

Old 11-06-2012 | 09:49 AM
Wide_Open
Ultimate HDF Member

You'll be so exited when you get the new bike you won't really notice the transition, it will be fairly seamless. Enjoy your Lo and post some pics as soon as you are able.

Old 11-06-2012 | 10:13 AM
Village Idiot™
Stellar HDF Member

Something to watch out for is that your lean angle will be less than on the sportster. Don't be surprised if you scrape floorboards every once in a while.

Old 11-06-2012 | 11:00 AM
Fenres
Advanced

Just made a similar big jump from a vulcan 750 to the fat boy lo. Was completely blown away with how much lighter easier to ride with the lower center of gravity on this bike. In fact it was the selling point, only drove the bike at the dealership just to get a feel of what a big bike was like, twenty minutes later somehow i was riding home on one.

Old 11-06-2012 | 11:19 AM
dluch
Advanced

The only regret you'll have is not getting it sooner!
Enjoy

Quick Reply: New to Softtails ?