Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dash bolt issues

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2012 | 07:43 PM
SwiftyBKells
|
Tourer
Default Dash bolt issues

I'm trying to remove my tank and dash but the bolt that holds the dash on won't come off. It just keeps spinning like there isn't anything hold the screw still under the dash (hope that makes sense). Can anyone help me out?

Old 11-04-2012 | 07:54 PM
jreichart
Road Warrior

The hidden end is a carriage bolt that slides into a square slot. Sounds like its either slipped out or the square corners have rounded off a bit. Others have had the same issue, another HD engineering debacle. I think the most common solution has been to somehow put some upward pressure on the bolt to hold it while turning. A small flat blade screwdriver might work wedged just under the nut. Once you do get it removed, clean the threads of any previous loctite or debris. When reinstalling, do not use any loctite, and hand tightening is plenty to hold it in place. Might also want to replace the carriage bolt if the corners have been rounded at all, and inspect the slot it seats in for similar damage and replace that if needed also. Hand tightening only should solve future issues though.

Old 11-04-2012 | 08:11 PM
SwiftyBKells
|
Tourer

problem is that I can't get to the bolt, only the nut on top. I attached a pic of the bolt to give an idea.

Attached Thumbnails Dash bolt issues-dash.jpg  
Old 11-04-2012 | 08:19 PM
jreichart
Road Warrior

Sorry, I meant upward pressure on the nut. What has happened is the nut is locked onto the bolt, and the bolt end is spinning in the slot under the dash. Putting upward pressure on the nut, or even prying up on the dash slightly while turning should be enough to break it free. If that doesn't do the trick, you might want to try heating the nut with a soldering iron to loosen the bond if any loctite had been used on it previously.

Old 11-04-2012 | 08:25 PM
SwiftyBKells
|
Tourer

I tried putting a flat head screw driver under the dash to apply pressure and still not comin loose. It doesn't have lock tight cause I've had it off before.

I think what i'll try is applying the same pressure with the flat head under the dash and then unscrew the dash bolt with vice grips while pulling up...hopefully that works.

Old 11-04-2012 | 10:05 PM
ryanek9freak
Road Captain

I've had that problem before because the hole the carriage bolt goes through was rounded out, I ended up having to split the nut with a cutoff wheel. Sucks.

Old 11-05-2012 | 06:46 AM
In Memoriam Citoriplus
May our Moderator Rest in Peace

Had the same thing happen to mine but managed to get it off with just a pair of pliers on the nut.
Held it with the pliers and pulled up while turning got it off.
Once I got it off I used a little bit of JB Weld on a new stainless steel carriage bolt to lock it in place and prevent it from happening again.
The nut didn't have any lock-titie on it, but looking at the nut showed that it had a pair of dents in it where the factory crimped it to make it into a sort of locking nut.
So I replaced it with a polished stainless steel one (and used a tiny bit of anti-sieze) to match the replacement bolt.
That way there is no chance of it either locking or corroding and getting stuck on there again.