Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Got a check engine light of installing Velociraptor Air Cleaner

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2012, 07:21 PM
trooper50
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Got a check engine light after installing Velociraptor Air Cleaner

Yep. I'm stuck! I switched out my Hypercharger Air Cleaner with a new Velociraptor Air Cleaner and now I'm getting a check engine light. Light came on while I was test riding it to the gas station... The bike is not backfiring or anything weird like that. Hopefully I wont need one of those fancy Power Commander computers... I have a 2009 Fatboy FLSTF. Any help will be appreciated.

Last edited by trooper50; 11-02-2012 at 07:25 PM.
Old 11-02-2012, 07:22 PM
Iceman24
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Air Force
Received 2,250 Likes on 1,641 Posts

Recommend you pull the codes to see why your service light illuminated...

Old 11-03-2012, 02:04 AM
trooper50
Road Captain

Originally Posted by Iceman24
Recommend you pull the codes to see why your service light illuminated...
Thank you Iceman. I'll do that ASAP.

Old 11-03-2012, 09:25 AM
Bluehighways
Stellar HDF Member
Received 223 Likes on 158 Posts

When installing the Air Cleaner you may have accidentally disconnected one of the Fuel Injection Sensors.

Read the Diagnostic Trouble Code or Codes (DTC) that have been set by the Fuel Injection Computer. This will help your to determine which Fuel Injection Sensor to inspect.

Reading a Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC) can be done with or without what Harley calls their "Digital Technician II" (Part Number HD-48650) which is for Dealership Technicians -or- what they sell for a list price of $149.95 called "Code Master Service Code Reader" (Part Number 32312-10). The "Code Master Service Code Reader" is for use by anybody who has $149.95 or thereabouts. Either of these tools does exactly the same thing when it comes to Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTCs). They plug into the wiring harness, and provide a Digital Display of the Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTCs) in a very fast and easy way.

Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTCs) can also be read using what Harley calls "Odometer Self Diagnostics." Using this method you can Read and Erase (Erasing a Code is called "Clearing" the Code or Codes). This method of Reading and Clearing Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTCs) involves using the Trip Odometer Reset Switch and reading the Odometer Display.

The procedure for reading Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTCs) using the Trip Odometer Reset Switch and reading the Odometer Display follows:

1 . To enter diagnostic mode press and hold the trip odometer reset switch while turning the Ignition Switch ON.
2. Release the trip odometer reset switch. “diag” should appear on the odometer display.
3. Press and release the trip odometer reset switch. “PSSPtb” will appear on the odometer display.
4. PSSPtb indicates the different modules that could display codes if equipped.
* P - ECM codes
* S – TSM/TSSM/HFSM codes
* SP - Speedometer codes
* t - Tachometer codes
* b - ABS codes
5. Quickly press and release the trip odometer reset switch to cycle through the letters. The letters will flash as they are selected.
6. Once the corresponding letter is flashing to the desired module press and hold the trip odometer reset switch.
7. If no DTCs are present the odometer will display “none”.
8. If any DTCs are stored in the module either current or historic the odometer will display the DTC. Quickly pressing and releasing the trip odometer reset switch will cycle through the stored DTCs.
9. If odometer displays “no rsp” then the motorcycle may not be equipped with the module. If the motorcycle is equipped with the selected module then go to other modules and look for applicable communication codes.
10. When all the DTCs have been cycled the odometer will display “end”.
11. To clear all the DTCs in that module press and hold the trip odometer reset switch. If DTCs are not to be cleared quickly press and release the trip odometer reset switch. The part number of the module will be displayed.
12. Press and release the trip odometer reset switch again to continue to the next module.
13. Turn the Ignition Switch OFF to exit diagnostic mode.

Old 11-03-2012, 01:50 PM
trooper50
Road Captain

I appreciate the detailed instructions. Will keep them for future reference, in that I know I'll need them again. I ended up taking it in to the HD Dealer this morning and sure enough, I had incorrectly connected one of the hoses. The good news is they only charged me $38.48... They could have easily charged me $300-400 and I would have paid it, since I have no clue when it comes to turning wrenches. It was a sobering feeling to know there are still honest people out here.

Old 11-03-2012, 05:02 PM
QC
Club Member
Received 19,803 Likes on 9,866 Posts

That was just a tease to make you go back again!
Happy that it was something simple.

Old 11-03-2012, 06:22 PM
trooper50
Road Captain

Originally Posted by machinistmate
That was just a tease to make you go back again!
Happy that it was something simple.
I hear you. :-)