Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mapping

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2012, 06:54 AM
moomba
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mapping

I need to map my bike I have V&H 2 into 1 and a breather. Is it best to map it at harley with the harley tuner or go with a power commander or fuel pack? It is currently running lean with some back fire.

Old 11-01-2012, 07:29 AM
Rakthi
Road Warrior
Received 94 Likes on 79 Posts

I have the TTS MasterTune myself but if I would buy today I give the Power Vision a good hard look!

Check it out on Fuel Moto's site. (he is a sponsor on here)
http://www.fuelmotousa.com

They will load it with the appropriated map for your bike, and the PV gives you plenty of opportunity to fine tune further.

Old 11-01-2012, 07:30 AM
cwsharp
Stellar HDF Member
Received 152 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by moomba
I need to map my bike I have V&H 2 into 1 and a breather. Is it best to map it at harley with the harley tuner or go with a power commander or fuel pack? It is currently running lean with some back fire.
You need to do some research by reading the thousand or so threads on this topic... the answer is "it depends" and you have to fill in the blanks to determine the right choice. If you're never going to make any other changes (including a big one in the elevation that you are riding at) then your three mentioned choices will work just fine. The Power Commander has some adjustability so it is somewhat better and can be made to work really well with a dyno until you climb a mountain or ride by the beach (depending upon where you started) unless you have an autotune version.

Old 11-01-2012, 07:34 AM
Smileman
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Old 11-01-2012, 07:57 AM
Guitardude
Club Member
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

There are a couple of ways you can go...and they have been discussed ad nuseum all over this forum and others.

It comes down to what YOU want to do. One thing to consider is to have the dealer do the stage 1 flash, then you can add any unit you want and fine tune from there, but if something goes wrong with the unit you choose, you are still riding a bike that has the factory flash for the pipes and breather and not potentially doing damage by running too lean.

Old 11-01-2012, 08:37 AM
STLFLSTF_Mike
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by moomba
Short answer is if you are not going to do any Engine/Cam work in the future and you have V&H Exhaust then I would get the Fuel Pak and use their map......if you answer yes to Engine/Cam work in the future you better do some more reading.

I've not done any Engine/Cam work.......have V&H exhaust 2x2 and an air intake and my fuel pak has been working great for 4+ years.

Old 11-01-2012, 11:52 AM
oct1949
Club Member
Received 819 Likes on 805 Posts

There is no best... just depends on how much U have/want to spend, how much U want to mess with it,(some U have to tune with U computer) and if U want Ur motor to run better or just add fuel so it wont be so lean...

All of above answers will help U deciede which tuner to get..

Old 11-01-2012, 06:40 PM
spydyr
Road Captain
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by STLFLSTF_Mike
Short answer is if you are not going to do any Engine/Cam work in the future and you have V&H Exhaust then I would get the Fuel Pak and use their map......if you answer yes to Engine/Cam work in the future you better do some more reading.

I've not done any Engine/Cam work.......have V&H exhaust 2x2 and an air intake and my fuel pak has been working great for 4+ years.
+1 on this, plus go with what you want. Just keep in mind that for the most part, you get what you pay for. Myself, I have the Fuel Pak (one of the cheapest) and love it. I plan on getting cams, and I've already e-mailed them and got a custom map. If I were to do any head work, the Fuel Pak would probably be useless.

Old 11-01-2012, 07:26 PM
FLYING_BURRITO_BROTHER
NOT A MODERATOR
Received 20,424 Likes on 7,999 Posts

Dynojet Power Vision... Tune your own bike while you ride it! Not a piggy-back module...the PV flashes your ECM...

Old 11-01-2012, 07:37 PM
moomba
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the info guys. I will do more searching as suggested. Can I be doing damage now running lean. How do I prevent damage until I get mapped? It back fires more and more daily. Do I need a dealer flash prior to getting the fuel pack or power commander?

Quick Reply: Mapping