Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Softail Slim Mod Help Please

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2012 | 12:43 PM
gregeinsc
|
Road Captain
Default Softail Slim Mod Help Please

I have had my 2012 Slim for a little over a month now and after hundreds of hours spent pouring over websites and pics I finally have an idea as to how I want my Slim to look. I am no idiot when it comes to using hand tools, but I have never worked on a bike before and would appreciate any help you guys could offer me.

I have purchased V&H 2 to 2 big radius pipes and a PM air cleaner assembly. I know that I want to swap out the transmission door for one that is gloss black and I want to swap the cam cover for chrome. I swung by my local dealer today to try to get an idea as to what direction I should go with getting it all together. He loosely quoted me a grand to put it all on. I would like to offset that if possible.

I know that I am going to need a tuner...his suggestion was if I didn't plan on any further engine mods to just have the ECM flashed. If I wanted to do any further mods to the engine...get a tuner. His suggestion was the Screaming Eagle tuner, but they only sold the simple one for $200. I have been looking at tuners to the point of being cross-eyed and I know that I do not want a piggy back model. I have been looking at the Pro Vision, I believe it is called.

He also said that I am going to loose all of my trans fluid so be prepared to change that also. I would appreciate hearing from you guys that have done the mods I have mentioned yourself and any tips or advice you could give.

One more noob question...I have seen several posts relating to taking their rides to an Indy for a good tune....what is an Indy???

Thanks in advance for any and all help you can give this noob.

Old 10-27-2012 | 01:02 PM
ghostrider69
Outstanding HDF Member

An "Indy" is just another name for an independent repair shop. If all you plan on doing is the exhaust and intake then I would take it to the dealer and get a stage 1 flash which alters the amount of fuel that is injected into the combustion chamber at any given rpm to compensate for the higher air flow of the intake and exhaust. If you are actually changing the trans door then yes you will loose pretty much all of the fluid. If you are only talking about the trans side cover, then If you leave the bike leaning over on the stand when you pull the trans side cover you will loose only a few ounces of fluid.

Old 10-27-2012 | 08:26 PM
gregeinsc
|
Road Captain

Thanks Ghostrider...I was referring to the side cover. The piece that has "6 Speed" inscribed on the side. That is what I told the parts guy and that is when he told me I was going to loose all of my fluid.

Old 10-27-2012 | 09:30 PM
ghostrider69
Outstanding HDF Member

If you leave it on the kickstand when you remove that cover it will only loose a few ounces, if that much. You could even park the bike on a 2x6 so that it will lean over farther and you probably would not loose a drop of fluid.

Old 10-27-2012 | 09:57 PM
ryanek9freak
Road Captain

Originally Posted by ghostrider69
If you leave it on the kickstand when you remove that cover it will only loose a few ounces, if that much. You could even park the bike on a 2x6 so that it will lean over farther and you probably would not loose a drop of fluid.
+1, I've done just that, Actually, I leaned my bike over on the crashbar, and I didn't lose one drop of fluid.