Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cam Install ??????

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2012, 10:01 PM
QC
Club Member
Received 19,803 Likes on 9,866 Posts

Hell, I thought I did pretty good! The dealer wanted around $1600 to do it. And the service manager is a friend.

Old 10-27-2012, 10:05 PM
HoggyMtnBreakdown
Elite HDF Member
Received 121 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by machinistmate
Hell, I thought I did pretty good! The dealer wanted around $1600 to do it. And the service manager is a friend.
Ouch! No, you did VERY well...

Old 10-27-2012, 11:22 PM
RLE
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

reusing the stock pushrods? How does this not screw somethin up when putting in a taller lobe cam?

Old 10-28-2012, 08:00 AM
cwsharp
Stellar HDF Member
Received 152 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by HoggyMtnBreakdown
+1 on the Heartland tools. They're a good value and don't add that much to the overall cost and you can resell them after the install if you want. You can also get them on eBay (where I got mine).
I don't recommend reusing the stock pushrods for 2 reasons:
1. It makes the job more laborious in that you have to remove your heads to pull and reuse the stock ones.
2. Stock pushrods will make noise with some aftermarket cams.
If you use good chromoly adjustables and install/adjust them right, they will work just as well or better than the stock ones. They'll never come loose and you'll never need to worry.
I also do not recommend using the old cam/mallet trick to install the new bearings. If you're gonna spend the money for upgraded bearings (presumably to last longer), do the job RIGHT and use an install tool. Again, 2 reasons:
1. You'll make absolutely certain the bearing goes in straight.
2. A tool will countersink the bearing the several thousands of an inch the way it's supposed to be installed.
JMO, but do what you like and follow the opinions you like. That's what this forum is all about and it's your bike.
I agree here... as long as you get a 'bolt in' cam instead of a cam with enough lift that you need other mods... but since yours is an '06 I recommend that you get an Andrews, Fueling, or S&S cam support plate with the hydraulic tensioners and single roller chains on both inner and outer. I also recommend that you stick with the stock push rods and replace the breather caps in your rocker covers to the newer style... this will help reduce the amount of oil going into (and usually out of) your air cleaner.

You definitely want to change to torrigngton cam bearings and the install tool puts the strain on the outer bearing race instead of the inner and properly seats the bearings without a possibility of under sinking them.

Making sure you are at top dead center when installing the push rods and aligning the gears can be tricky if you are new to the concept. You also need a centering drift to properly install the new oil pump if you go with the cam support plate.

If you intend to reuse your lifters make sure that they are as smooth as a baby's butt.

Keep everything that you reuse with their partners that are reused and put them in the same location. Push rods are different lengths for intake and exhaust, for example.

Getting the rocker covers off requires some careful negotiation. If yours are painted be careful. Replace your rocker cover bolts with chrome hex heads if you are so inclined.

C#

Old 10-28-2012, 08:46 AM
spydyr
Road Captain
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by RLE
reusing the stock pushrods? How does this not screw somethin up when putting in a taller lobe cam?
I haven't done this yet, but am in the researching phase and I can tell you this.... when adjusting the pushrod length, you do it on the base circle, so it wouldn't matter if you had a taller lobe anyway. You'd better have the clearance in your cylinder to accommodate that higher valve clearance, though.

I'm all for reusing the stock pushrods... less hassle with adjusting them and everything... that will go in my price list (minus one set of adjustable pushrods!!!!) Taking the tank off isn't THAT much PITA.

Speaking of which, why is it that we have like 2 popular adjustable pushrods out there that darned near everyone uses and we don't have a writeup that says "67 flats from the bottom" or something like that? I'm sure there's a "stock" setting for the 88s, 96 & 103, give or take a flat for clearances.

Old 10-28-2012, 09:34 AM
QC
Club Member
Received 19,803 Likes on 9,866 Posts

I put a small paint pen mark on one flat of the nut. 3 1/2 turns will get you the .100 adjustment needed. Seems to be the proper adjustment on stock lifters. Regarding my earlier post- I meant Torrington bearings- not Timkens. Sorry if I caused any confusion.

Old 10-28-2012, 11:22 AM
KumaRide
Elite HDF Member
Received 187 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by HoggyMtnBreakdown
+1 on the Heartland tools. They're a good value and don't add that much to the overall cost and you can resell them after the install if you want. You can also get them on eBay (where I got mine).
I don't recommend reusing the stock pushrods for 2 reasons:
1. It makes the job more laborious in that you have to remove your heads to pull and reuse the stock ones.
2. Stock pushrods will make noise with some aftermarket cams.
If you use good chromoly adjustables and install/adjust them right, they will work just as well or better than the stock ones. They'll never come loose and you'll never need to worry.
I also do not recommend using the old cam/mallet trick to install the new bearings. If you're gonna spend the money for upgraded bearings (presumably to last longer), do the job RIGHT and use an install tool. Again, 2 reasons:
1. You'll make absolutely certain the bearing goes in straight.
2. A tool will countersink the bearing the several thousands of an inch the way it's supposed to be installed.
JMO, but do what you like and follow the opinions you like. That's what this forum is all about and it's your bike.
You dont need to pull heads to reuse your prods. Only roocker arms and covers.

Stock prods are perfect for bolt in cams like 203, 204, 21, 26, 37....

Yeah, its a personal thing whether to buy specific tools or use backyard mechanic tricks. Lots of people do it both ways.

Old 10-28-2012, 04:43 PM
m i k e
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

great write up & video,
i was intimidated by this project. not so much now
i think the hardest would be adj. push rods right?
these adj. p.rods are by s&s only?
subscribed to do install maybe this winter

Old 10-28-2012, 04:48 PM
Sgt_Jim
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

no, there are several companies that make adjustable pushrods..Fuel Moto makes a set as well, and have a video on how to adjust them:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=GOBmiOiTGXQ

Old 10-28-2012, 05:15 PM
oct1949
Club Member
Received 819 Likes on 805 Posts

Dammmmm, I get suckered on cam threads every time....

U've been a member almost as long as I have been and U still don't know ?????

Ur 88'er needs to have at least the chains (inner and outer) changed out to roller chains to get rid of the tensioner issue when doing cams, if not doing gear cams..

Don't,,,Dont use the SE kit,,, (it only changes the outer chain, not the inner one).
Use one that uses the roller inner and outer roller chain if U go with chain cams. Like the Andrews kit.

Now as far as DIY or have the shop do it.?????

When I have Mine done... I did it on one of the Winter specials...

Cams,,, I had Andrews 26h's installed, with new lifters, oils changed, labor, New, Free dyno when done for $899.00..

For that price,, I didn't mess with it..

Just call around to see what's coming up at the dealers to see what the best price/cost U can have it done for this winter..

Quick Reply: Cam Install ??????