Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I hate harley

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2012, 10:27 PM
rojuwi
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks fellas. I will definitely keep these suggestions in mind because I will have the bike apart this winter and I will encounter another bolt issue.

Old 10-25-2012, 10:39 PM
matttatts
Advanced
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Motown Strag
I just looked that stuff up, is it really cherry scented? Or is that just the nutcracker plus? lol

Sounds like good stuff
Smells better then it tastes.......... Dont ask lol!

Old 10-25-2012, 11:19 PM
ryanek9freak
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Seriously, an impact driver is a must when working on a bike. You can get one at Harbor Freight for like $40.
like this, but this one is cheap and no good. Get a better one that has a 3/8" drive on the business end. I have a Snap On version that was around $200, but there's cheaper ones out there that are just as good.

http://www.harborfreight.com/7-piece...set-93481.html

Old 10-26-2012, 04:02 AM
Rodzilla6
Road Warrior
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Imold
Stripping the heads or threads? I'm guessing heads since you mention fighting to get them out. I've removed thousands in over 45 years of wrenching, picked up a few tips:
First, put reasonable pressure on it, and if it doesn't come loose, a few things to try before getting that cheater bar or impact wrench. Start off with penetrating oil, get that working while you try other stuff. If an Allen, torx, or phillips, tap the wrench with a hammer; if possible, put pressure on the wrench and tap the back as if you're trying to drive it in while trying to turn it at the same time. If you have one of those handheld impact removers you hit with a hammer, it should do this even better. For hex or other flat heads, hit with a punch, wide enough it won't dimple the head. If you can, put a box end wrench on it, apply pressure, and hit the head with a hammer - this can be awkward with one person. Heat can really help, not the bolt, but the surrounding area. On a Harley, NOT a torch - one of those heat guns like a hair dryer on steroids is best, but you have to consider the surrounding materials; beware of plastic, rubber/plastic grommets and gaskets, and anything with gas in it. If it moves just a little and jams up, tighten it back (but not as tight as it started), back out trying to get just a hair more turn, and repeat. I've taken over an hour removing a bolt this way, and got it out without damaging the hole threads - but you'll throw away that bolt, the threads are almost certainly deformed, even if you can't see it; running it through a die will remove deformed areas, but it will have less material and likely stress cracks you can't see. I've seen big re-used #8 bolts shear under far from max rated loads after "refurbishing" them. Don't get real enthusiastic with taps and dies; sometimes they're the only way, but don't use one just so you can screw it down with your fingers. And then there's times I deliberately shear off the head, even using a chisel, or drill it off (preferred, if you can get a drill on it). With the pressure of the head removed, sometimes the threaded portion comes out fairly easy with an easy out. When removing something like a case cover, and one bolt/screw won't move, or the allen/torx/phillips head strips out, carefully drill the head off, remove the cover, and often there's enough stub sticking up to get a vise grip on it. There's actually a pretty small torque spread where the bolt threads have stretched the perfect amount; I can usually feel pretty close, but I still have torque wrenches - and use them. I seldom have any trouble with a bolt I've previously installed properly myself. It sucks having to buy new bolts, but that's just part of being a mechanic. And an impatient mechanic will do it even more. I've seen jet airliner bolts costing over a thousand dollars that had to be destroyed to remove.
Thanks for the tutorial!! Over the years I've had pretty good luck, but you had a couple new tricks to try if I get a challenging bolt situation! I'm going to get some of the nutcracker juice too as one of the other fine folks mentioned. I HATE Torx!! Also, the strength of hd bolts is way better than their so-called customer support...

Old 10-26-2012, 05:45 AM
cwsharp
Stellar HDF Member
Received 152 Likes on 112 Posts

I replaced all of my small torx heads with chrome hex heads (stainless steel would have been even better).

Old 10-26-2012, 06:28 AM
jay72
Road Captain
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Some of those "CRAP" bolts are seated with a little LocTite, blue or red as the case may be. Are you sure that you aren't running into these when disassembeling things? When I put things back together, I usually place a little of the blue on the bolt or nut, just for my satisfaction and comfort.

Old 10-26-2012, 06:41 AM
Notgrownup
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,113 Likes on 3,655 Posts

You gotta take your time Cuz. make sure you have the right size tool , pre-treat it with fluids or heat...patience....

Old 10-26-2012, 06:50 AM
tbonetony06
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Try AeroKroil made by Kane. It is industrial strength and what we use at our plant. It bust nuts and bolts loose as big as 2 or 3 inch's. drilled on with HUGE impact wrenches. I have also heard very good things about this PB blaster too but I have no personal experiance with it to be able to comment on.

Old 10-26-2012, 07:16 AM
brenn
Elite HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by rojuwi
Dont get me wrong, I live the bikes. My gripe is the soft as hell bolts they put on everything. What is the deal? Everytime I want to do a small mod I strip 2 bolts and have to fight them to get them out and then have to run to the store for a replacement because I ruined that one. I'm low on patience anyway. I'm done, continue what you were doing. Lol
I do mods and repairs all the time and I've never had a problem with a Harley bolt with any head type or any color thread locker. You just have to be careful and use the right tool. I had an issue with one hardware store bolt a previous owner had used, but never with HD.

Old 10-26-2012, 10:53 AM
Imold
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 4,632 Likes on 2,735 Posts

Originally Posted by cwsharp
I replaced all of my small torx heads with chrome hex heads (stainless steel would have been even better).
Be careful with stainless, it's not as strong as grade 5 or 8 bolts; you won't even find a grade rating on most stainless fasteners. It has a low carbon content and can't be hardened. I'd never use stainless on anything suspension, foot pegs, handlebar, kickstand, or engine, other than cover screws. There are some applications where the recommended torque can snap a stainless bolt.