Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Motorcycle Lift

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2012 | 07:19 AM
momax
Novice

I have the one from sears, but am thinking now of the HF table lift for those other jobs i've been wanting to get to;

Old 11-30-2012 | 09:31 AM
jay72
Road Captain

I have a Sears, the yellow model. When I first got it, I hard to wire brush the paint off the lower end of the handle 'cause it kept binding up an wouldn't allow me to lower the bike. The other thing that requires your attention is that when lowering the bike, it does tend to come down rather quickly if you aren't watching what you're doing.

Old 12-02-2012 | 11:11 AM
Stopit
Stellar HDF Member

I'm trying to decide between the 2 Sears jacks. I will probaley get one or the other tonight as there on sale, the red one is @ $90.00 , the yellow @ $180.00.

There are some really bad reviews on the red jack , I believe most of those are due to not reading the instructions and properly preparing the jack for use as most are leaking oil or not lifting , or not using the lock-outs to rest the weight on.

The yellow jack looks more like a regular floor jack , I'm mainly wondering is one more stable than the other.

The yellow one also appears to have a more boxed in lifting saddle.

Sears and every one else doesn't seem to have the quality of yesteryear , my Craftsman 1 1/2 ton floor jack I bought new in 1977 still works fine ,but it's built like an Abrams tank too , 1/4 in steel , best tool I ever bought !!

Old 12-02-2012 | 11:41 AM
Bluraven
Grand HDF Member

There are tons of post on this subject. After ready most of the post I went with the sears red jack. No regrets yet.

Old 12-02-2012 | 12:25 PM
Zener
Advanced

I've owned the Sears red jack and used it on a heavy cruiser. It works but it's really at the limit of what it can handle. When using it, it flexes and moves under the heavy bike and the bike will sway and bounce -- not very confidence inspiring. That said, it probably won't drop your bike unless you do something stupid. Someone earlier in this thread said he wasn't going to put his $20k Harley on a $100 jack and I think that's good advice. I just ordered a J&S after watching the video on their website, other comparison videos on youtube, and reading the recommendations in this thread. Thanks guys!

Old 12-02-2012 | 01:38 PM
jl777
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Stopit
I'm trying to decide between the 2 Sears jacks. I will probaley get one or the other tonight as there on sale, the red one is @ $90.00 , the yellow @ $180.00.

There are some really bad reviews on the red jack , I believe most of those are due to not reading the instructions and properly preparing the jack for use as most are leaking oil or not lifting , or not using the lock-outs to rest the weight on.

The yellow jack looks more like a regular floor jack , I'm mainly wondering is one more stable than the other.

The yellow one also appears to have a more boxed in lifting saddle.

Sears and every one else doesn't seem to have the quality of yesteryear , my Craftsman 1 1/2 ton floor jack I bought new in 1977 still works fine ,but it's built like an Abrams tank too , 1/4 in steel , best tool I ever bought !!
I had the red jack for years. Had my Road King Classic on it many times, usually on the slope in my driveway. Never even used the tiedowns, which if you look at the pic closely, are sitting in the red plastic tray in the garage! Went with the yellow one after a few years. Can't remember why...vaguely remember it was because it was a tad lower.

Old 12-02-2012 | 01:42 PM
jam436
Supporter

Originally Posted by Bluraven
There are tons of post on this subject. After ready most of the post I went with the sears red jack. No regrets yet.
I bought the Sears Red for a Switchback earlier this year - of course I had to perform the "Dyna mod" to get it to work (moving the pads to the outside).

I've since traded the SB in on a Softail Slim, and restored the jack back to its original configuration.

It's rock solid as far as I'm concerned - even moreso without the mod.
No complaints...

Old 12-02-2012 | 11:10 PM
Stopit
Stellar HDF Member

I went with the Sears red jack.

I think most of the bad reviews are because there expecting the average American male to read the instructions 1st. If they really want to get there rating up they need a big red warning tag on the bottle jack. Mine came over filled I would guess many that fail were also overfilled. So if you do go with this jack make sure you bleed it 1st thing !!

I tried it out, it's a little better than I expected for $90.00 + tax . My Deuce seems vary stable on it with out the straps , rolls pretty easy too.