Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Horn Advice?

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2012, 12:08 PM
Midgard
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Guitardude
I agree on the drive more aware...but disagree on the horn. Would you go in to a gun fight with one or more empty chambers? Nope. So why limit your defenses in driving? If you are in a car and someone starts to change anes into you because you happen to be in thier blind spot, you do what?

You hit the horn.

And 9 times out of 10 the most common accidents, someone changing lanes in to you or pulling out in front of you, are avoided. Revving your "loud pipes" doesn't and never will get the other drivers attention like the sound of a horn. Revving the engine doesn't register in the mind of drivers as a danger or warning signal. A horn, no mater what sound puts out, if it is a legal device, meaning a certain db level that it must put out, is the better choice EVERY time.

But what do I know, I've just been riding for 35 years and have only avoided probably 100 accidents over that time because of the other driver hearing the HORN even though I was right beside them with loud pipes that just didn't register as a warning to them.

So take your horn off, break the law in most states in the process, look "cool"...and end up dead because you had no way to make the other driver aware in a way that EVERY driver is trained to recognize instantly. Oh, and know that those of us who are REAL old school are laughing at your stupidly.

Thanks for the tips.

I have been riding for almost 20 years myself and I don't think I have ever even used my horn once. I took my reflectors off as well - you want to lecture me about that as well?

Over 100 near miss accidents and your horn was the reason you are here to tell us about it - maybe you should be paying more attention

I think you meant stupidity not stupidly (who's stupid now lol)

ps ; I have nothing against not wearing a helmet - but you riding around with no helmet on really leaves you zero ground to stand on.

REAL old school - nah... you're just old ~~

Last edited by Midgard; 10-19-2012 at 12:12 PM.
Old 10-19-2012, 02:23 PM
Eagle240
Tourer
Received 121 Likes on 24 Posts

Where are my waders..... SHEETS GETTING DEEEP!!!

Old 10-19-2012, 02:35 PM
Ramboamt
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Old 10-19-2012, 02:44 PM
Ramboamt
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Looking at the Pro Pad Mini Beast 2 Air Horn . Heard it at a show and that puppy is "LOUD"

Old 10-19-2012, 02:55 PM
GinsengSullivan
Tourer
Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Really fighting over horns? LMAO wow...

It's really not that big a freaking deal ... get one of these LOUDER hide away relocation horns for a whopping $17.95 and you have best of both worlds NO cowbell ugly horn and a small loud horn to mount out of sight to make the law happy and Guitardude..

Small Black Motorcycle Horn 105 dB w/ Wire extension & Bracket
http://www.dkcustomproducts.com/Blac...DK-HRN-BLK.htm

Old 10-19-2012, 04:32 PM
SBRob
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,329 Likes on 1,712 Posts

I've had to use my horn a couple of times...dumb asses playin' w/their cell phones instead of noticing the light had turned green.

I must have gotten a good one from the factory...it's plenty loud enough for the cagers to hear it.

In Texas, no horn no pass for safety inspection sticker.

Old 10-19-2012, 04:51 PM
FLYING_BURRITO_BROTHER
NOT A MODERATOR
Received 20,424 Likes on 7,999 Posts

I just ride around with an air-bag....

Old 10-19-2012, 05:00 PM
Midgard
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by FLYING_BURRITO_BROTHER
I just ride around with an air-bag....

Too funny -- Guy is so lazy he cant even deflate it and take 30 seconds to blow it back up when he gets to the beach lmao

Old 10-19-2012, 07:51 PM
Warp Factor
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 88 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by Midgard
Thanks for the tips.

I have been riding for almost 20 years myself and I don't think I have ever even used my horn once. I took my reflectors off as well - you want to lecture me about that as well?

Over 100 near miss accidents and your horn was the reason you are here to tell us about it - maybe you should be paying more attention

I think you meant stupidity not stupidly (who's stupid now lol)

ps ; I have nothing against not wearing a helmet - but you riding around with no helmet on really leaves you zero ground to stand on.
Zero ground?
Ya choose your risks. One of the biggest is riding a motorcycle. We can talk about where to go from there once that decision is made.

I'm a former California sportbike canyon carver. We'd get about 1 death in the canyons each weekend. To this day, I wear a full-coverage helmet. I also have a "modulating headlight".
I don't think it's ever inappropriate to talk about, and advise risk reduction, regardless of the level the adviser chooses for their own riding.

Sheeit, I survived the canyon carving days and drag racing days on insanely powered bikes, only to finally get nailed on a cruiser by some guy pulling out of a car wash.

If you think that riding skill will immunize you from needing to have someone change your diaper for the remainder of your life, I've got news for you!

Last edited by Warp Factor; 10-19-2012 at 08:18 PM.
Old 10-19-2012, 08:04 PM
Motown Strag
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

We have to tell each other that if you dont have a horn then no one can hear you honk your horn?

Everybody here knows that no horn or no helmet or splitting lanes is dangerous...lectures are boring.

Lets skip the obvious stuff, less to argue about.

Quick Reply: Horn Advice?