Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Open Belt Drive

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2012 | 06:53 PM
Jd Swiper
|
Road Master
Default Open Belt Drive

As winter quickly approaches I'm putting my winter mod list together and at the top of the list is a open belt drive. There's an awful lot of drives to choose from and I'm starting to get overwhelmed with the large selection with prices ranging from $1,200 to 6,000. I'm looking for any info with good or bad reviews and thoughts to help me find a good one!

Old 10-16-2012 | 06:59 PM
Branner
Road Warrior

I have a BDL and like it so far. They're reasonably priced and look/work great.

Old 10-16-2012 | 07:11 PM
Sgt_Jim
Outstanding HDF Member

i hear all good things about BDL, and saw a few this past weekend, they're pretty cool.. make sure you don't get your pants leg caught in it.

Old 10-16-2012 | 07:14 PM
Jd Swiper
|
Road Master

Originally Posted by Sgt_Jim
i hear all good things about BDL, and saw a few this past weekend, they're pretty cool.. make sure you don't get your pants leg caught in it.
Lol, ok, thanks guys, gonna take a look right now!

Old 10-16-2012 | 07:22 PM
Mark_H
Road Master

I have a BDL on one and an Ultima on another. Both seem excellent quality. I have about 30k on the Ultima, it takes whatever my 113 gives it.

Old 10-16-2012 | 07:39 PM
juicedstang999
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Sgt_Jim
My boy had just finished fueling-up and was driving past the gas pump and moved his foot in a little to closer to avoid the concrete barrier when it sucked his pants in and ripped him off the bike... Thousands in medical bills, A week in the hispital, screws and plates holding his ankle together, and a fukked up hog, He told me he would have rather give me the 3 G's he spent on the belt drive than go through all of that $hit!!!

Old 10-16-2012 | 07:42 PM
Jd Swiper
|
Road Master

I love the looks of the ultima

Old 10-16-2012 | 08:30 PM
Mark_H
Road Master

Originally Posted by juicedstang999
My boy had just finished fueling-up and was driving past the gas pump and moved his foot in a little to closer to avoid the concrete barrier when it sucked his pants in and ripped him off the bike... Thousands in medical bills, A week in the hispital, screws and plates holding his ankle together, and a fukked up hog, He told me he would have rather give me the 3 G's he spent on the belt drive than go through all of that $hit!!!
Here we go again. My brothers cousin's aunts sister knows a guy who's brothers has a friend that this happened to. Been riding them for 30 years. Been riding around people that have rode them forever. Always here the story, have yet to meet the guy that got "ripped off his bike" by an open primary.

Either way, I know people who have died crashing their bike. I choose to still ride anyway. With the way this country has turned panzy ***, if they were that dangerous they would be illegal.

Old 10-16-2012 | 08:38 PM
soft 02
Seasoned HDF Member

Musta been a small kid...

Old 10-16-2012 | 09:14 PM
bikerlaw
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by Mark_H
Here we go again. My brothers cousin's aunts sister knows a guy who's brothers has a friend that this happened to. Been riding them for 30 years. Been riding around people that have rode them forever. Always here the story, have yet to meet the guy that got "ripped off his bike" by an open primary.

Either way, I know people who have died crashing their bike. I choose to still ride anyway. With the way this country has turned panzy ***, if they were that dangerous they would be illegal.
LOL, Amen brother! These stories get so old its comical. I have caught my pants legs in various open belt drives so many times over the years its sick. Other than a brief startle, its the most uneventful part of any ride. Not to mention theres a plethora of guards available for those faint of heart that don't want to even risk that, These folklore stories of belt drives ripping people legs off are nothing short of ridiculous.

Heres a pic of my '75 Shovel. Feel free to explain to me how ANYTHING could get caught in that belt, rip me off my bike and kill me.....

To the O/P, I have run both Primo and BDL on my Shovels. I prefer Primo. I have not run the Ultima, but I would have no problem running one as the people who have given them a shot, seem to like them. They are quite a bit cheaper than most units, but I'm not sure that means they are "cheap".

Last edited by bikerlaw; 10-16-2012 at 09:30 PM.

Quick Reply: Open Belt Drive