Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Screaming Eagle Heavy Breather

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2012 | 10:08 PM
r0ck3r
|
Intermediate
Default Screaming Eagle Heavy Breather

I have searched around but have found nothing...just wondering if the people on here that know more than I do could help me out?!

I just Installed the Screaming Eagle Heavy Breather on my 08 HD Rocker, started it up, gave it a couple of revs and heard some loud popping. Is it A MUST to have a tuner on my bike for this breather?! Also...I have the V&H Short Shots that I have yet to bolt on...is a tuner required for this as well?!

Any ideas what the loud popping was?!

Thank you in advance...

Dennis

Old 10-05-2012 | 11:01 PM
liquidr1
Road Master

My lo ran like absolute crap when installed the heavy breather. When my tuner put it on the dyno the bike was so lean it was amazing i hadnt burn a hole through the pistons. The heavy breather is almost the equivalent of just running a open throttle body with no filter at all. A dyno tune was a must for my bike

Old 10-05-2012 | 11:11 PM
elizer
Road Captain

to begin with ur bike runs lean. adding an intake will make it run leaner. that causes the decel pop. tune will help but shouldnt me that bad.

Old 10-06-2012 | 12:04 AM
Kowan
Ultimate HDF Member

I have no plans or need for any engine work, so I just went with the HD download. No decel pop. Engine runs great as is.

If you plan on doing engine mods, a tuner would be what you should be researching.

Old 10-06-2012 | 12:11 AM
deez nuts
Road Captain

When you add the short shots it will pop even more because the engine will be running even more lean. You will need to get a tuner of some kind in order to richen the fuel mixture to where it should be. Once you have the tuner and the Air/fuel is correct you will get the performance gain from the pipes and AC but without the tuner you will lose power because its running way too lean.
Hope this helps.

Old 10-06-2012 | 12:25 AM
IronWright
Road Captain

Last edited by IronWright; 10-05-2013 at 12:17 AM.
Old 10-06-2012 | 09:12 AM
r0ck3r
|
Intermediate

Any suggestions on which tuner to get? My funds are a little low at the moment...going thru a divorce :/

Old 10-06-2012 | 09:33 AM
TheTroupe
Road Master

Click on the Fuel Moto USA link on the right side of this thread, they are good people and will set you up just fine.

Old 10-06-2012 | 09:39 AM
r0ck3r
|
Intermediate

Originally Posted by TheTroupe
Click on the Fuel Moto USA link on the right side of this thread, they are good people and will set you up just fine.

Thank you greatly!! Do you have any idea why it would pop like that and is it bad that it popped?!

Old 10-06-2012 | 09:43 AM
smitty901
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Army

Originally Posted by r0ck3r
I have searched around but have found nothing...just wondering if the people on here that know more than I do could help me out?!

I just Installed the Screaming Eagle Heavy Breather on my 08 HD Rocker, started it up, gave it a couple of revs and heard some loud popping. Is it A MUST to have a tuner on my bike for this breather?! Also...I have the V&H Short Shots that I have yet to bolt on...is a tuner required for this as well?!

Any ideas what the loud popping was?!

Thank you in advance...

Dennis
First check your install for air leaks. And correct tighten of bolts.
The little bit leaner mixture should not cause poping at this point.
You did not say it you had changed exhaust.
If you have already changed exhaust and then did the heavy breather you need some fuel.
You do not need a dyno tune or anything real fancy but you need some fuel at hat point.

Quick Reply: Screaming Eagle Heavy Breather