Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stupid question time on headlamp and LED

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2012 | 03:08 PM
tmac00333
|
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,897 Likes on 1,232 Posts
Default Stupid question time on headlamp and LED

I need more light. The stock light on my '06 FLST is like a rusty flashlight with a weak battery.

Wife wants me to spring for the auxiliary lighting kit. In my opinion, it messes up the great old-school look of the Heritage. All that junk up front.

If I simply stick an LED bulb in the existing headlight, would that make a difference? Can you even do that?

Harley LED headlamps are ridiculously expensive (no surprise there) and they don't really have any that fit my bike.

Is there a good, non-Harley LED headlamp out there - without the light bar and passing lamps and all that junk?

Any other recommendations are greatly appreciated...

Old 10-05-2012 | 04:06 PM
jreichart
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

You could go HID, check out this thread:

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/softa...onversion.html

Might be on my winter mod list this year.....

Old 10-05-2012 | 04:18 PM
PhatAnthony
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't know how much Harley charges for the LED headlight, but we sell the kuryakyn/truck lite model for $242.95

http://www.phatperformanceparts.com/...PHASE7&CartID=

Old 10-05-2012 | 05:03 PM
tmac00333
|
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by PhatAnthony
I don't know how much Harley charges for the LED headlight, but we sell the kuryakyn/truck lite model for $242.95

will it fit an '06 FLST?

Old 10-05-2012 | 05:17 PM
PhatAnthony
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by tmac00333
will it fit an '06 FLST?
As long as you have a 7" headlight, yessir

Old 10-05-2012 | 05:33 PM
Motown Strag
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just bought a Bi-Xenon hi lo H4 kit...waiting for it to get here. $38 bucks shipped. I am going to do a write up on this one but its pretty easy from what Ive seen on you tube.

Unlike that other fine member I don't give a crap about the cars as long as they see me. They will get over it like I do every time a 94 civic with 12000k hid aimed to the sky goes by...I might be a douche but I'll still be alive!

Old 10-05-2012 | 09:45 PM
PanHeadRich
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 66 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by tmac00333
I need more light. The stock light on my '06 FLST is like a rusty flashlight with a weak battery.

If I simply stick an LED bulb in the existing headlight, would that make a difference? Can you even do that?

Harley LED headlamps are ridiculously expensive (no surprise there) and they don't really have any that fit my bike.

Is there a good, non-Harley LED headlamp out there - without the light bar and passing lamps and all that junk?
Yes, an LED Headlamp will make a huge difference. And yes, you can stick an LED Headlamp into your existing 7" bucket. It's totally plug & play. I removed my auxiliary lamps and I'm just running the single Truck-Lite Phase 7 LED, works out great.

Originally Posted by Motown Strag
Unlike that other fine member I don't give a crap about the cars as long as they see me. They will get over it like I do every time a 94 civic with 12000k hid aimed to the sky goes by...I might be a douche but I'll still be alive!
Hopefully you'll re-think that attitude bro. I'm highly cautious about blinding oncoming traffic. And not because I'm a good, wholesome, courteous person, it's because I don't want them blinded and running into me head-on. The old coots, stoners & boozers have enough trouble with night blindness. Hit them direct with an extreme hi-beam and it could all come to an end. Just a word of caution from one DB to another

Last edited by PanHeadRich; 10-07-2012 at 10:41 AM.
Old 10-06-2012 | 02:01 PM
tmac00333
|
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by PhatAnthony

Can I get it without the spotlights?

Old 10-06-2012 | 03:30 PM
Guitardude
Club Member
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

After riding with a couple of guys who have LED lights, one with the Harley "Day Maker" and one with the Truck-Lite, I went with the Harley dual bulb Halogen and saved a couple of bucks in the process. When running the same stretch of dark road with one then the other, none of us saw much if any difference... For the ST it's 139.95 from Harley.

http://www.harley-davidson.com/gma/g...bmLocale=en_US

Old 10-06-2012 | 04:19 PM
Motown Strag
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by PanHeadRich
Hopefully you'll re-think that attitude bro. I'm highly cautious about blinding oncoming traffic. And not because I'm a good, wholesome, courteous person, it's because I don't want them blinded and running into me head-on. The old coots, stoners & boozers have enough trouble with night blindness. Hit them direct with an extreme hi-beam and it could all come to an end. Just a word of caution from one DB to another

Yeah I guess if I blind them they cant see me flipping them off as they are edging out into the lane while Im going by! ha

Quick Reply: Stupid question time on headlamp and LED