Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Spilt gas on my tank, precautionary measures.

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2012 | 02:36 PM
GlennB.
|
Road Captain
Default Spilt gas on my tank, precautionary measures.

Hey guys, as I was filling up yesterday the pump decided to have some blowback and sent quite a bit of gas onto my tank. I wiped up as much as I could and when I got home I used some quick detailer to wipe the tank off and all seems well. Now today I was looking at the leather trim and it seems stained from the gas. Anyone know a quick fix for this? I have some Meguiars leather wipes so i'm going to try that, just wanted some other opinions.

Old 10-04-2012 | 02:39 PM
soft 02
Seasoned HDF Member

Saddle soap then the leather wipes. Petroleum stains on leather are a pain. It should go away after a while.

Old 10-04-2012 | 07:31 PM
oct1949
Club Member

What Leather trim are U talking bout.????

most all seats and trim that's made for HD that is around the tank is really vinyl...

most any vinyl cleaner/polish will work that U can get from bout any Auto store.

Old 10-05-2012 | 12:09 AM
GlennB.
|
Road Captain

Yeah sorry, I meant the trim that runs down the middle of the bike.

Old 10-05-2012 | 12:54 AM
IronWright
Road Captain

lol..ease up on the throttle.....what would you want peeps to say to you...did you ever post bout gas blowin out on you when fuelin up the car in another forum???

Old 10-05-2012 | 11:46 AM
GlennB.
|
Road Captain

Well the way I look at it is, I wasn't paying attention. I also couldn't care less what peoples opinions are of me on a forum. If you think i'm a dumbass because I accidently spilt gas then ok, go right ahead. I'm not here for the popularity contest, i'm here to learn about my bike and share experiences good and bad with the community.

Old 10-05-2012 | 11:53 AM
09_96_Train
Intermediate

The leather care stuff from Armor All works perdy good. I done it a few times cheating on those pumps that have the fume thing on them. I hold it back cause all the dirt and such from other peoples stuff scratches right around the hole. No worries man. It may take a few times usin that stuff to get it to go away but it'll be good.

Old 05-06-2013 | 10:29 AM
chi45cken
Road Master

Glenn - how did it work out for you? I was pumping gas this morning and first some gas just poured over the tank - mind you I literally put in 30 cents in by that time. I tried to lift the lever, disengaged it and pull it out and gas came spraying all over. I mean, it was like a scene from a movie where some psycho is trying to drain you with gas and torch you alive. LOL sorry for the dramatics. Anyways - everything is covered in gasoline now. I had to run to work so no time to do anything about it yet. From what I saw - my seat was covered in stains, solo bag covered.. wheel covered.. the tank trim covered. WTF.

Soo I just wanted to check what you used for your bike?

Old 05-06-2013 | 10:38 AM
klf33
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by chi45cken
Glenn - how did it work out for you? I was pumping gas this morning and first some gas just poured over the tank - mind you I literally put in 30 cents in by that time. I tried to lift the lever, disengaged it and pull it out and gas came spraying all over. I mean, it was like a scene from a movie where some psycho is trying to drain you with gas and torch you alive. LOL sorry for the dramatics. Anyways - everything is covered in gasoline now. I had to run to work so no time to do anything about it yet. From what I saw - my seat was covered in stains, solo bag covered.. wheel covered.. the tank trim covered. WTF.

Soo I just wanted to check what you used for your bike?
I am tempted to make jokes about lighters as a solution here but trust me, I have been a prominent passenger on this train of fools .

What I usually do is quickly grab the paper towels they have in the gas station, dip it in the dirty squegee fluid they have for car windshields, I know it is dirty

I then remove as much gasoline off my paint as fast as I can, all my other stuff is vinyl , if it touches leather I would do the same.

Later on I can clear the dirty stuff but at least the nasty gasoline is out.

Old 05-06-2013 | 10:43 AM
chi45cken
Road Master

Originally Posted by klf33
I am tempted to make jokes about lighters as a solution here but trust me, I have been a prominent passenger on this train of fools .

What I usually do is quickly grab the paper towels they have in the gas station, dip it in the dirty squegee fluid they have for car windshields, I know it is dirty

I then remove as much gasoline off my paint as fast as I can, all my other stuff is vinyl , if it touches leather I would do the same.

Later on I can clear the dirty stuff but at least the nasty gasoline is out.
LOL - I know all about the jokes :P Incident this morning made me wonder how in the hell I graduated from college haha
I do the paper towel trick too. I removed as much gas as possible and will probably clean the bike tonight. I don't have any vinyl/leather treatment at home though so that's why I was asking about some specific items. My seat is vinyl for sure. The Leatherworks bag is what I'm most concerned about

Quick Reply: Spilt gas on my tank, precautionary measures.