Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Who is running Nitrogen....

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2012 | 07:09 PM
Guitardude
|
Club Member
Default Who is running Nitrogen....

Was visiting with a rider out of Houston while at BB&B, and he was telling me that he's running Nitrogen and seeing a HUGE increase in tire wear, or rather the LACK of it...

I've seen it advertised for auto and truck, and the Escalade came with it from the dealer, but first time I've thought about it for the bikes...

I know, serch the forum...I did...and didn't see any real discussion about it!

Ok, so who's running it, and what are the pros and cons?

Last edited by Guitardude; 10-01-2012 at 07:59 PM.
Old 10-01-2012 | 07:16 PM
Deuuuce
Elite HDF Member

First, that guy is full of crap.

2nd, our atmosphere is what, 78% nitrogen anyway?

3rd. the larger molecules means less leakage at the microscopic level.

4th it's more resistant to temperature changes hence good for serious racing applications.

5th. worthless on the street, just a marketing gimmick.

Old 10-01-2012 | 07:20 PM
tinmarine
Road Master

I don't believe in it. Air we breathe is already 79% nitrogen. Compressed air is still 79%, so what's the benefit of the extra 21%?

Old 10-01-2012 | 07:21 PM
spydyr
Road Captain

I make no claim to be an expert on the subject, but I can tell you what I've learned so far. I run Nitrogen and have been for 2 sets of tires now. "They say" nitrogen isn't very much different than the air you breathe, which is like 70% nitro anyway. It just filters out more of the O2, H2, etc. to reduce the amount of moisture, which in turns is supposed to minimize the amount of temperature changes making your air pressure fluctuate.

I got hooked on it when I got a rear tire and they offered it; I checked my pressure about monthly throughout the 7 months/12K miles of life on it, and it was never low, never high, and wore evenly. Ever since then I make sure I ask to put the nitro in. I don't even check my tire pressure anymore, I'm so confident it's just something I don't do anymore. 50K miles, on my 4th rear tire and 3rd front, and still going!!!!

Old 10-01-2012 | 07:24 PM
Suntower
Road Master

I run about 78% nitrogen in my tires.

Get it?!?!

Quite honestly... I couldn't possibly see any advantage. I'm not out racing the thing.

Old 10-01-2012 | 07:56 PM
Guitardude
|
Club Member

Originally Posted by Suntower

...I'm not out racing the thing.
I'm not either, but it sure is fun when the rice rocket riders pull up next to me at a light to slam it to the ground and rev up the engine with the V&H Big Shots and watch their eyes, and watch them scream off the light while I bring the shock back up and ride off like a normal person...

Point taken on the nitro. I know in the Escalade that the tire monitor has never waviered from 35psi no mater the weather or how long/fast we have driven, and the hassel of checking the rear tire on the Heritage might make it worth it for THAT reason alone...

Old 10-01-2012 | 08:01 PM
bikerlaw
Ultimate HDF Member

Lots of Gold Wingers swear that it doesn't leak out as fast. They claim you fill up your tires and three months later they have lost hardly any pressure. I have never tried it on ANY tire but there are plenty of people who love it. As mentioned, its a molecular size thing, but thats the only thing I know as to why is stays in the tire longer. I'll leave the stable tire pressure stuff to the NASCAR racers.

Old 10-01-2012 | 08:12 PM
Wild Card
Road Warrior

I work in hvac industry so I do nitrogen alot.

1 that guy is full of crap about it wearing out tires.

Next, air pressure fluctuates with temp, thats why on the tire it reads xx psig cold. Nitrogen does not fluctuate at all. One may see a tad better ride.

Next nitrogen is dry and contains no moisture so it stops sweating and rust inside of tire and rim.

They use nitrogen with the newer cars with tire idiot lights due to the fact of the irregularity of pressure with air.

The guys that say the air you breath is 78% nitro. True, but there is a differance between 78% and 100%. But I also agree its really not that big of a deal, I use it cause I have it. If I had to pay for this wonder tire inflation gas, I would not.

Old 10-01-2012 | 08:15 PM
Wild Card
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by bikerlaw
Lots of Gold Wingers swear that it doesn't leak out as fast. They claim you fill up your tires and three months later they have lost hardly any pressure. I have never tried it on ANY tire but there are plenty of people who love it. As mentioned, its a molecular size thing, but thats the only thing I know as to why is stays in the tire longer. I'll leave the stable tire pressure stuff to the NASCAR racers.
Thats pressure fluctuation due to temp, natural air has a temp/pressure referance.

I use nitrogen to leak search hvac equipment it leaks faster than air.

Old 10-01-2012 | 08:25 PM
rubberfrog
Outstanding HDF Member

All of the bothersome, small molecule, gases leak out and leave you with .78X.

So you refill the .22X amount of leaked "air" with regular air. You now have .17X nitrogen (.78 nitrogen x .22 volume) added to the .78X you had in there to start with. For a total of .95X nitrogen.

Your tire is 95% nitrogen after just one leak down cycle. Each time you air up, the nitrogen volume increasse. All for free.

Quick Reply: Who is running Nitrogen....