Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Who is running Nitrogen....

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2012 | 02:49 PM
Guitardude
|
Club Member

Originally Posted by rubberfrog
You ain't kiddin! Do you have any idea how hard it is getting laid in this outfit?
It's the boots, dude...

NO chick will sleep with a guy with prettier footwear than them.

PROVEN FACT...probably the most proven of any in this thread!

Old 10-04-2012 | 05:14 PM
LA VIC
Road Master

I can't fault anyone that uses nitrogen in their tires if they're comfortable with the traveling and/or paying to inflate their tires. There are real benefits, I just don't think they add up for me personally.

Because it's dry that means no corrosion. Not really an issue in motorcycles but a huge deal in aviation, which BTW is what I do. Any pressure vessel or tire we use contains either nitrogen or helium. Because there is no moisture pressure changes with temperature are consistent, that means repeatable time after time. Anyone that says nitrogen doesn't change pressure with temperature is wrong. It's a gas and you can't change physics. It's the absence of moisture that let's it change consistently all the time. Those NASCAR boys have tire pressure adjustments down to a science. They could never do it with regular shop air. Also because nitrogen is inert it won't exacerbate a fire when **** goes boom.
Nitrogen will permeate through the rubber in your tire more slowly than oxygen. It's that 22% oxygen in the air we inhale that accounts for greater pressure loss of shop air vs pure nitrogen. About 1/3 greater rate IIRC. Nitrogen is good stuff and if I had a free supply in my garage I'd sure use it. But I don't so I'll keep checking my tires more often.

Old 10-04-2012 | 09:35 PM
Uncle G.
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by oct1949
From what I've read the two biggest reason to use it is

1 on steel rims it helps with rust inside on the wheel from Moisture.
2 it does leak out as easy, keeping the proper inflation, thus better wear by not running low.

Number one is only applicable when you have steel wheels with tubeless tires. The only Harleys I can think of with steel wheels are laced wheels, and they run inner tubes, so the air inside never contacts the rims. the laced rims rust because water gets in between the rim and the inner tube through the holes for the spoke nipples and gets trapped.

Old 01-03-2013 | 09:52 PM
harrell42
Advanced

roller,i tried nitrogen in my tires several years ago, dealer said that pressure would not change when the tires got hot. i had a tire pressure monitouring system o my street glide when i left home the tires would be 40 psi and after about 75 mles tires would read 46 47 psi same as regular air. so what is the advantage. same tire mileage as air just cost more money to fill up with nitrogen

Old 01-03-2013 | 10:02 PM
Kowan
Ultimate HDF Member
Default Who is running Nitrogen....

Not I. I am running methane gas at the moment since I ate beans and ham earlier in the day.

Old 01-04-2013 | 02:56 AM
Fierofly
Tourer

Originally Posted by harrell42
roller,i tried nitrogen in my tires several years ago, dealer said that pressure would not change when the tires got hot. i had a tire pressure monitouring system o my street glide when i left home the tires would be 40 psi and after about 75 mles tires would read 46 47 psi same as regular air. so what is the advantage. same tire mileage as air just cost more money to fill up with nitrogen
I believe the whole purpose for Nitrogen is to remove all moisture from the air and nitrogen molecules are bigger then 02 so the tire won't loss pressure as quickly.

Old 01-04-2013 | 10:59 AM
Deuuuce
Elite HDF Member

It doesn't change tire wear rate.

Old 01-04-2013 | 12:23 PM
chrisj49
Tourer

Originally Posted by Fierofly
I believe the whole purpose for Nitrogen is to remove all moisture from the air and nitrogen molecules are bigger then 02 so the tire won't loss pressure as quickly.
This is the only advantage. If you don't check your tires often enough, there is some benefit.

Old 01-04-2013 | 05:59 PM
Gman in NC
Road Warrior

My bike came with nitrogen in the tires. I replaced it with 'air' when I got new tires. Didn't notice any difference at all. It probably does something but it's also probably something we don't need. I do know the racing pit crews in NASCAR use it to more efficiently drive their air guns. Now that does make some sense.

Old 01-05-2013 | 07:17 AM
JohnFlorida
Road Master

Wouldn't you have to put the tire in a vacuum and suck out all the air before filling with nitrogen to have 100% nitrogen in the tire?

Quick Reply: Who is running Nitrogen....