Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Who is running Nitrogen....

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2012 | 08:41 PM
Guitardude
|
Club Member

Originally Posted by Wild Card
I work in hvac industry so I do nitrogen alot.

1 that guy is full of crap about it wearing out tires.

No, he claimed it EXTENDED his tire life...sorry for not making that clear...long day and not enough beer!

Last edited by Guitardude; 10-02-2012 at 06:13 AM.
Old 10-01-2012 | 09:07 PM
creed0423
Tourer

I work in hvac industry so I do nitrogen alot.

1 that guy is full of crap about it wearing out tires.

Next, air pressure fluctuates with temp, thats why on the tire it reads xx psig cold. Nitrogen does not fluctuate at all. One may see a tad better ride.

Next nitrogen is dry and contains no moisture so it stops sweating and rust inside of tire and rim.

They use nitrogen with the newer cars with tire idiot lights due to the fact of the irregularity of pressure with air.

The guys that say the air you breath is 78% nitro. True, but there is a differance between 78% and 100%. But I also agree its really not that big of a deal, I use it cause I have it. If I had to pay for this wonder tire inflation gas, I would not.
Thats pressure fluctuation due to temp, natural air has a temp/pressure referance.

I use nitrogen to leak search hvac equipment it leaks faster than air.
I also do HVAC and I agreed 100%. I only use nitrogen when brazing and pressure checking for leaks.

Old 10-01-2012 | 09:44 PM
BigMESA
Tourer

You use nitrogen in hvac because oxygen is explosive and nitrogen is dry and does not introduce non-condensibles to the system like moisture, not because it leaks faster. I also do hvac in the Charlotte NC area with 16 years experience.

As far as putting it in tires, it's just an up sell really.

Old 10-02-2012 | 02:55 AM
oct1949
Club Member

From what I've read the two biggest reason to use it is

1 on steel rims it helps with rust inside on the wheel from Moisture.
2 it does leak out as easy, keeping the proper inflation, thus better wear by not running low.

Old 10-02-2012 | 02:56 AM
Warp Factor
Outstanding HDF Member

Helium works better than nitrogen for extending tire life, because the tires will spend less time in contact with the ground. You need to lock the bike with a chain though so it doesn't float away.

Substitute helium for the nitrogen in your intake air, and your Harley will sound like Donald Duck.

Old 10-02-2012 | 04:58 AM
Blk and Chrome
Elite HDF Member

they sell it to people where I work and have used it. Is it better? I don't use it anylonger as I still have to fill it as it leaks out. I feel I get good wear just by checking pressure at least once a week or more.

Old 10-02-2012 | 05:45 AM
Tom84FXST
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by rubberfrog
All of the bothersome, small molecule, gases leak out and leave you with .78X.

So you refill the .22X amount of leaked "air" with regular air. You now have .17X nitrogen (.78 nitrogen x .22 volume) added to the .78X you had in there to start with. For a total of .95X nitrogen.

Your tire is 95% nitrogen after just one leak down cycle. Each time you air up, the nitrogen volume increasse. All for free.

This makes as much sense as the BS the snakeoil salesmen feed you... to get you buy nitrogen

Old 10-02-2012 | 06:35 AM
Warp Factor
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by Tom84FXST
This makes as much sense as the BS the snakeoil salesmen feed you... to get you buy nitrogen
No, if it is true that other gases in air leak out faster than nitrogen, Rubberfrog's right, and you would end up with increasingly pure nitrogen in the tire.

By the way, nitrogen in a tire expands and contracts from temperature change the same as air (about 1 psi per 10 degrees). Maybe the water vapor present in air would change that... I haven't been able to easily find much on that.

Last edited by Warp Factor; 10-02-2012 at 07:03 AM.
Old 10-02-2012 | 06:44 AM
rubberfrog
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by Tom84FXST
I understand, simple math is very confusing to some people.

Old 10-02-2012 | 07:05 AM
Rodzilla6
Road Warrior

I don't buy it...if the atmosphere is 79 % nitrogen, if you keep filling up the tire as normal and the rest of the air leaked out and left the big molecules behind...wouldn't it be mainly nitrogen after a while???? LOL I wish this was my big problem in life!

Quick Reply: Who is running Nitrogen....