Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Chirp/Squeak coming from new exhaust?

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2012, 08:24 AM
Eagle240
Tourer
Received 120 Likes on 24 Posts
Default Chirp/Squeak coming from new exhaust?

So I installed VH BR2-1 on my fatboy about 3 weeks ago.

I went ahead and chose NOT to install and intake and programmer yet, but will do so in the next coming months.

What i am hearing, does not sound normal to me, let me explain.

When I am in nuetral, or holding in clutch, and give the throttle a little twist and let up ,2 things happen, A) the engince accels B) the engine decels

During A) all sounds good, matter of fact, GREAT! no abnormal sounds

During B)- I hear a very faint intermmitent Chirp/squeak noise coming from the exhaust... it IS NOT the decep "pop", because I hear that as well..It is noticebly evident when I have something to the right of me, like a car or wall to deflect the noise back my way, in an open environment it is usually so faint i can hardly hear it.

This is my first Harley, and maybe I am being over precautious, but has anyone heard the same after installing exhaust, and does anyone know what it is? Maybe it is like this because I have not installed intake and programmer yet? the sound kind of resembles the consistency of spark knock, but I am ruling that out as it only happens on decel, plus it is more of a squeak than a knock..

Old 09-27-2012, 09:29 AM
phanowel
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is a pretty common problem. It is the squirrel you put in the intake.

OK, I don't really know. Are you confident that the flange bolts are tight so that the pipes can't shift (possibly resulting in a squeak)? Or the mount bolts on the frame down lower?

Old 09-27-2012, 09:47 AM
Eagle240
Tourer
Received 120 Likes on 24 Posts

[quote=phanowel;10379988]This is a pretty common problem. It is the squirrel you put in the intake.
quote]

The Squirrel... damn i should have known!!

Actually i re-torqued after 100 miles, and then checked again at 300 miles...all was good both times... it definitely sounds mechanical like it is "revolving/moving" parts causing the chirp/squeak...

The last thing I want to happen is take it to the Stealer and have them say "oh well if there is something wrong, becasue you didnt have us install your exhaust, it is not our problem and your screwed"

I am half tempted to put my stock exhaust back on just to see if I notice the noise..and if i do, then take to dealer.

Old 09-27-2012, 09:54 AM
oct1949
Club Member
Received 817 Likes on 803 Posts

Some Pipes actually do make a little chirping sound.

At times I can hear it while riding with my Rush pipes.

With pipes that angle toward the ground I am thinking it'd be heard easier because of the bounce back.